All-purpose gun legislation thread

Guns save lives. Well, just one, which stopped a bullet in its holster.

All patients should be issued firearms when they are admitted to the hospital.

Come on, this is just common sense, people.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a bunch of invalids with guns.

Not to make light of the tragedy that occurred,

But, about that gun that stopped a bullet.

I think that we should cover all of our children in guns, so that when a gunman tries to attack a school, they will be protected by the guns.

I’m sure all the legislators with high NRA ratings are already sending thoughts and prayers.

Well, they’ve probably killed the NRA with their conspiracy, so no reason not to buck the NRA now!

Every time I read “good guy with a gun” arguments for school shootings, I think of things like this: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/us/air-force-base-active-shooter-confusion/index.html

That’s the military, folks. Trained military already on notice because of a planned drill and you still get chaos like this.

Reliable, armed response from non-emergency personnel is a pipedream. Emergencies, even minor ones, are chaotic. So much arm-chair quarterbacking from the folks who think that having a large number of guns in non-professional hands is the right response in an emergency, even if you set aside the non-trivial risk of having all those guns around in non-emergency situations (e.g., accidental discharges).

Or the multiple incidents recently where there was a ‘good guy with a gun’ present, and said person was then… summarially killed when police arrived.

Yeah this comes to my mind now too. And really there is no real discouragement for police to actually really know who are or is the bad guys before they just blow someone away.

Not really sure about that, it’s just not what you want to say out loud. Not a lot of white good guys with guns being killed. I’m pretty sure most cops assume any black guy with a gun is the bad guy.

True… I guess what I am getting at is all they have to say is I thought, I was under pressure… and that’s it. That’s all the need. Unless they kill an unarmed kid I don’t know that it will ever amount to anything and that just seems wrong.

Liberal propaganda. Didn’t you see Air Force One?

I’ve become slightly fascinated with the 2014 Amanda/Jerad Miller shootings in Vegas. There seems to have been an honest-to-god “Good guy with a gun” in that scenario. The cops didn’t kill him, but the Millers did.

I’m not saying that there aren’t well-intentioned CCW carriers out there. Personally, I think the vast majority of CCW carriers are well-intentioned. Rather, I’m saying that the odds of them reliably neutralizing a “bad guy” with a gun is really, really low, because emergencies are pure chaos. Add on all the negative consequences , beyond failure to neutral the bad guy, and you have really bad potential consequences. The guy in the shooting that you reference is a hero. He also proves how damn hard it is to have the type of situational awareness that arm-chair wannabe heroes assume they would have.

I’d say it’s 50/50 that Trump keeps that in his VCR at night, so he can watch and fantasize that he’s kicking ass and defending America as an action hero.

Yeah, wasn’t mentioning it as a counter example, just something I happen to have been reading about lately.

You’re welcome to believe what you want about gun rights, but I don’t think the incompetence and mismanagement of federal bureaucrats should inform the rights of citizens. That’s… just silly.

Talk about silly. This is silly.

I do agree it’s a great reason why we shouldn’t have some sort of government program to arm teachers. They can’t do anything right!