Alpha Protocol

I just used whichever weapon/skill combo is overpowered for the boss fights. Pistol I think, plus something that recharges the uber skill?

Guh, didnā€™t even know there was a sniper rifle until I accidentally saw ā€œhey, whatā€™s that locked door forā€. So I finished the game, first game Iā€™ve actually taken the time to finish in two years. Not 100% thrilled with the ending I got, so of course that means Iā€™ll just have to play it again. ;)

Wow, what a game. Seriously, one of the best gaming experience Iā€™ve had in years.

Play as an asshole shot gunnerā€¦there is a great love scene.

Guh, howā€™s the spoiler tag work here again?

Make sure to youtube the Heck ending if you are done with the game anyway.

Iā€™m gonna play through a couple more times, though Iā€™m finding it really hard to be an aggressive asshole.

Especially because, unlike other games, being an asshole can make a serious difference in how things play out!

Rehheeehheeeeeally. I might then just do the opposite of what Iā€™d do in those situations then, see what happens. ;)

The one thing that game is certainly not short on, is personality lol.

Winter, have you ever had a crappy car, that you were really really used to, and for whatever reason no matter how crappy it was, it always got you home? Thatā€™s exactly what AP is like for me. The game is without a doubt, a huge mess, but I played it so much all that stuff mostly went away. I got so used to all the quirks that they just became a non issue after the 2nd playthrough. I canā€™t even really put my finger on why I played it so many times, as I agree with everything you said. Itā€™s just one of those thingsā€¦

/shrug, I am a sucker for character building games, and this one really actually plays very differently if you choose a stealth/pistol guy vs a shotgun/martial arts guy. The almost in every game ever made problem of forcing you out of your current playstyle for boss fights is most certainly there though. Certain boss fights are also laughably easy, or incredibly hard depending on your spec, but itā€™s all part of the charm to me :P

I think Iā€™m going to be the party pooper like NuclearWinter above. Iā€™m just not seeing what you guys see in this game. Maybe Iā€™m not far enough in yet. I think I completed 3 Saudi Arabia missions. In my last mission I donā€™t know how many of the ā€˜guardsā€™ positioned themselves so they were just starting into the corner of the room / hall. making it a piece of cake to just walk up behind them and take them out. I also knocked a guy out when I was maybe 10ā€™ away from another guard walking in the same room. He was just about even with me, but didnā€™t see his buddy get whacked.

For a game offering different ways to get around it sometimes feels very linear. Funneled through hallways then it occasionally opens up to allow for some freedom.

The voice acting is so flat. They guy representing the player (Mike?) sounds like a robot.

This game is a victim to the glut of better games that can be had for almost as cheap. It isnā€™t a really bad game, but it isnā€™t really offering anything that is making it stand out. Again, since Iā€™m pretty early in Iā€™m probably not seeing its biggest strength - the playerā€™s ability to affect the story. With the mediocrity of it Iā€™m not sure how much I can stick with it though.

Youā€™re also not seeing the strongest gameplay or mission design. Saudi Arabia is basically tutorial town.

Thatā€™s 'cause Alpha Protocol kinda blows! I like Obsidian, itā€™s a shame their big shot to develop their own IP ended up with none of the imagination or inspiration of their licensed games. Some artists work best with constraints, I guess.

This is one of my favorite games of all time, up there with Deus Ex and Vampire:Bloodlines. Saudi Arabia is boring in a way. I will give you that. The problem that AP has is that you do not see or realize how great it is during the first playthrough. Only during the second or third playthrough when you do things differently you can see how everything fits together and the game reacts to the missions you have done, the people you met and how you behaved etc. I liked the game play well enough, but then I am not a gamer that is looking for a tough challenge in my games, I play for interesting NPCs, Story and Character Development. And in my opinion AP delivers these three.

Iā€™m not wild about real world settings in games so I felt like Alpha Protocol suffered from that, but Obsidianā€™s really, really good at the story, writing and characters and the branching in Alpha Protocol is a thing of beauty. And frankly, I felt like it was a competent spy RPG, mechanically speaking. People complaining about the sneaking and gunplay seemed to be expecting it to be a full on action game (be that stealth or shooter), and it isnā€™t and isnā€™t supposed to be. Again, I feel like the real world constraints meant that there wasnā€™t anything wildly exciting to be found in the skill trees or equipment selection, but such is life.

You NEVER like good games.

Love love love this game! I need to play it again soon I think.

Thems fightinā€™ words boy.

Seriously, AP is amaaazing.

Alpha Protocol is such a brave game. Thereā€™s so much content you miss out on in your first playthrough, and not in a superficial Mass Effect flavor text sense. The story truly changes based on your actions. For me, itā€™s on par with Deus Ex. Obsidian did a killer job.

Picking it up for a $1, along with four other games, is an absolute steal.

The real power of it is the story and how it branches and changes based on your character.

The actual gameplay is downright terrible in most places, but I think itā€™s worth playing just to see how good character influence COULD be in games, but isnā€™t. In itā€™s own way itā€™s a masterpiece.
Itā€™s just too bad the actual game containing it is so mediocre when it comes to the actual game parts.

Edit: Just crank that shit down to the easiest level and blow through the missions and see how the story unfolds and then read up on all the amazing permutations that are possible, itā€™s basically what I did.

People complain about the gunplay and sneaking because theyā€™re bad and are what youā€™re doing for the majority of the game.

The game literally has a level where youā€™re running from a rocket firing gunship, while finding rocket launchers to shoot it out the sky, while guys are throwing grenades at you. Regardless of what the game is ā€œsupposed to beā€, significant portions of it are spent playing a bad action game.

People complain about the gunplay and sneaking because they find them bad and are what youā€™re doing for the majority of the game.

The game literally has a level where youā€™re running from a rocket firing attack helicopter, while finding rocket launchers to shoot it out of the sky, while guys are throwing grenades at you. Regardless of what the game is ā€œsupposed to beā€, significant portions of it are spent playing a bad action game.