Alpha Protocol

Definitely, but they still seem mostly incapable of ironing out tons of rough edges. They need to get over that hump once and for all.

One of my favorite games. I did not like the action ending I got, but other than that, I had a great time playing this. Hell, Iā€™ve bought it twice so far so I must have liked it!

Yeah, there games are buggy. I think if they worked with a company like UBIsoft or Valveā€¦ just somebody who can handle the load of tech and testing, while they handled the creative side? I just like they have that ā€˜old schoolā€™ rpg feel to alot of there games. and some of the stuff in AP was pretty great, like the perks that added up based on how you play the gameā€¦ they seemed to at least try new stuff in AP despite its bugs.

Yeah, they need to partner with a publisher that can handle their Q&A load, but even with Alpha Protocol, things like crouching with a pistol has really dumb animations. They need an eye for that stuff too.

I say this having loved Alpha Protocol, warts and all.

Mm. Iā€™ve had worse technical issues with Bethesda and Bioware games than Obsidianā€™s using the same engine. Iā€™m not denying the issues exist to some degree even though I myself am mostly not experiencing them (thankfully), but I do feel like their reputation as out of the ordinary on that account is unjust. And Dungeon Siege III, while possessing a handful of peculiar design decisions (particularly concerning multiplayer), was their own engine and a beautiful, smooth as silk experience for me and my friend.

Now, Troika, on the other handā€¦

Brian! So glad you are enjoying this! I wonā€™t spoil anything, as this is your first time through the game, but I will say that about the time you finish your first playthrough, you will have just about mastered all the quirks the game has, and youā€™ll be ready to start your next run lol.

There is a specific order you can do things in as far as cities/missions go that can make a real difference in many ways. There are a bijilliondy little things about that game as far as the order you do things in that are kind of neat once you get into that aspect of the game. There is also the story, and how you approach it which ended up accounting for quite a few of my playthroughs.

Also, stealth, pistol, and assault rifle is probably the ā€œclassicā€ and/or ā€œbestā€ way to play the game, but you will have an absolute blast playing through the game as a martial artist or rambo-esque shotgunner as well. There really is a very tangible difference in the game depending on which way you go at it, which is why I got so many playthroughs out of it.

This is one of those games that you either love or hate. I really love this game but I know a fair number that just canā€™t get with it. I think having played past Obsidian games helps.

I actually neither love nor hate Alpha Protocol. I liked what it was trying to do but it was just a little off kilter in how those things came together. But yeah, I probably should consider a second run through, why not? Maybe going through in total jerk mode will add a little flavor.

Hah, yeah, I can see myself playing through this multiple times just for the different stances Mike can take. I did make a booboo yesterday though. In going to a place in order to ā€œfix a computerā€, one of the things I could do was ā€œexecuteā€. I thought this was ā€œexecute a commandā€ not ā€œbe a bad ass motherfucker and execute the dude youā€™re talking toā€. That was kind of a shock. ;)

Ah yes, the guy with the icecream conesā€¦eh, he deserved itā€¦

Lolā€¦there is a ton of replay in just doing the obviously ā€œwrongā€ thing to do. This is especially fun if you are playing as a complete asshat and take every possible opportunity to be a jerk.

This was a game, like the Cyanide Game of Thrones RPG, that I just did not get the consensus review scores. I enjoyed AP a lot, perhaps more so after having staying away from it initially due to its review scores.

I enjoyed AP thoroughly and played through it a couple of times once a couple stealth one killing only the bosses. There are plenty of things that could be fixed and made better, but itā€™s still a hell of a game.

I played through Alpha Protocol for the first time a few months ago, after picking it up in a steam sale. Honestly I have to say that I liked the idea of the game more than I liked playing it.

Iā€™m a huge fan of stealth games, love them. You know how a while ago there was a phase where every game released had to have a really terrible stealth level shoehorned in that everyone would complain about? Thatā€™s Alpha Protocol for much of the game. It was a chore to play in places and it kind of infuriated me that it would let me build up my character purely for stealth, non-lethal takedowns and talking my way out of situations, then suddenly throw in poorly designed, unavoidable combat scenarios where you have to defend point A against waves of enemies for X amount of time. I suppose it isnā€™t so much that not all combat was avoidable (I guess that would be too much to expect), but that the encounters were just badly designed and especially painful if you hadnā€™t focused on upgrading your combat skills. Also this happened more than Iā€™d like: carefully sneak through enemy base without making a sound and ever being detected, cutscene, angry unit of enemy soldiers just showed up and are heading to your position! Surprise!

Then there were the awful, awful boss fights.

I did really admire how reactive the game was and the amount of story choices it presented the player, but unfortunately Iā€™m never going to see those other choices because I have no desire to play through it again.

The story and writing were fun, though perhaps not particularly memorable for me. I enjoyed it enough to finish the game, but I only played a few months ago and feel that Iā€™ve already forgotten much of it. The game really left me with pretty mixed feelings, itā€™s not like it was all bad, but it had some big problems in the actual gameplay.

tl;dr - I can totally see where the reviews were coming from.

So Iā€™ve now finished the Taipei missions, and am going back and forth between Russia and Rome. That Heck guy in Taipei was a total hoot, LOVED HIM. I also liked whoever that 80s fellow was in Russia who had the terribly loud sound system. I am so hooked on this game its silly. It just feels soooooooo goodā€¦

I really liked Alpha Protocol. Glad to see it getting some love still.

I really need to install and play this. #backlog

Heck is the best part of the game. One of my favorite things was replying to his emails by leading him on with conspiracy-theory nonsense. Also:

This may count as a spoiler

At the end you ride off into the sunset on a boat with one of the characters, depending on your choices. I ended up with Heck, setting off to start freelancing as partners, which I felt was the coolest possible outcome.

ā€œTURN UPā€¦ THE RADIOā€¦ā€

The first time I played the game I giggled so much when I heard that song that I got killed right away.

Man, that Darcy mission is a beast. Ugh.

I had enough trouble with the Russian end boss that I had to switch to another city and level up a bit before going back (he does telegraph his moves a bit, but I wasnā€™t enough of an action gamer to take good advantage of it). If youā€™re really stuck on Darcy you could try doing something similar.