Altered Carbon - Netflix, cyberpunk

Wait, isn’t book 2 the one where they fight the decoms?

I thought the decom hacker with the ‘hair’ gets infected with a Quell virus and thinks she’s Quell, and that’s half the mystery tease.

Nope. Book 3. 2 is the one where he’s a mercenary on Mars and they go to do a Three Kings style heist.

What @malkav11 said. Book 2 changed the genre from hardboiled noir to a heist on a war-torn 3rd-world planet, and it was the least of the 3. I imagine they’ll just ignore it- it actually didn’t advance the Kovachs ‘plot’ (such as it is) much, if any. But as mentioned upthread, they’ve already changed enough that going direct to book 3 will be tough. Wondering how it’ll all play out.

I thought book 3 was by far the least successful, personally, with the first two books maintaining similar heights. Too much of 3 feels like wish fulfillment for Kovacs.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I liked the second just fine. I mean, it was initially disappointing as I really liked the sci-fi-noir thing the first had going, but when I realized what he was doing with it, it was groovy. And as for not really being ‘needed’ in Kovachs’ story, I don’t really count that as a negative, either- I always felt the books were more of an exploration of the Stack idea: what would happen to humanity if such a tech existed, exploring all the permutations and ramifications of that idea, and the second book did just fine along those lines. They don’t seem to be leaning into that as much in the Netflix series, though, which is why I think they’ll skip it.

The third book really was just fanboy wish fullfillment, wasn’t it? K is so badass that the only thing that they can stop him with is a younger version of himself!. He gets to bang the revolutionary warrior-poet he’s had a hard-on for since he was a kid! etc, etc. . Still, it was fun, and a fine end to the series.

Personally I’m expecting either they’ll go full original narrative with maybe a few nods to the later books, or they’ll go in series order, having to drift the story further and further afield as the implications of their changes multiply. Neither exactly fills me with excitement, since I think their big changes are stupid and the one episode that’s 100% the show’s creation is maybe half as good as the rest of the series, if I’m being extremely generous. But I’ll hold out in case they continue to use Morgan’s original material as extensively as possible.

I just watched a Netflix-released “Coming in February” video. They didn’t mention this at all. That’s a bad sign, right?

Depends when that video you watched was made; they just announced the release date a couple days ago.

It was released today. The announcement date teaser was yesterday.

Ah, I found the video you’re referring to. Tbh, I’ve never actually watched one of those before. Seems like it was focused on new stuff aside from Narcos, however. I wouldn’t sweat it.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen passing reference to Narcos being amazing.

That good, eh?

Not quite my cup of tea, but it’s very well done from what I’ve watched.

I was very lukewarm on it myself.

The voiceover is a bit grating, as is the US-centric perspective (inevitable given the source material, I suppose) but it’s otherwise very engaging. I worry about the dramatic licence in these kinds of shows though (cf Chernobyl). As a history I’m not particularly familiar with outside of the show (other than that weird hippos thing) , my understanding is now almost entirely framed by the show. Which may or may not be accurate on specific points.

Narcos was great.

I was in Santiago Chile and in a restaurant I asked the English speaking waiter to bring me a Coke. He gave me a strange look and then said. “Oh coca cola. Sure”.

Watching the show highlighted how a gringo in that part of the world ordering “Coke” might be taken the wrong way :)

No Martha Higareda no dice.

I’ve not yet watched the last episode of season one so shhhh.

Pfff noone down here calls cocaine “coke” or “coca”.

I didn’t hate the first season(I grew up reading Gibson, etc), but this looks…pretty cheese.

Season 1 was great and that trailer looks pretty awesome :)
They do seem to have a habit of choosing wooden actors for their leads though.

Yeah, I’m there