“Alternative” Food

I first found Beyond Burgers at Costco in pre-formed patties, but they’re kind of “the triumph of packaging” because every two patties come in their own plastic tray. More recently I’ve found 16 and 12 oz packages of Beyond Beef and Impossible Burger “meat” respectively in my local Fred Meyer (now a Kroger subsidiary).

I tried pre-made, pre-formed Impossible Burgers and yeah, they’re pretty darned close after you add toppings. I bought a package of ground Impossible beef to try it with Sloppy Joes.

I’m pretty impressed.

Do you happen to know if they’re still working to lower the cost, or is what we’re seeing now going to be standard? It’s still a bit too expensive for me to use to replace ground beef unfortunately.

Yeah, no idea. At around $9.50/lb it’s pretty expensive, for sure.

Re: Beyond Beef/Meat, recently I tried a “reformulation” of it which I hope doesn’t stick-- it reduces the total fat (leaves almost no oil in the pan after frying) but ups the sodium. Thumbs down on the flavor, and I end up feeling salt-poisoned afterwards.

Go for the 1 lb block at the supermarket and make sure it has a total of 19 g total fat per serving, is my advice. The (IMHO worse) reformulated version I mentioned came in pre-formed patties but in a less packaging-intensive version-- one plastic clamshell with patties separated by wax paper.