Amazon making a Jack Ryan series with Michael Bay starring John Krasinski

There was that one time in the Hellraiser crossover comic book but I don’t think that was canon.

Oh yea, was I the only one here that noticed the one Yoga move Jack Ryan busted out was the same one his wife, Emily Blunt, performed a thousand times in Tom Cruise’s Edge of Tomorrow: Live. Die. Repeat.? Not sure if this was on purpose or what. I mean, shit, I’m still hoping to see Dwight pop up in the agency’s office scenes.

I watched episode 1 of Ozark on Friday night. Last night, before I resumed Ozark, I thought I would watch the pilot of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan. Then I would switch back over to Netflix and binge Ozark Season 2 (which is a great series.)

Nope. Didn’t happen. Episode 1 of Jack Ryan was better than I was expecting – and so was Episode 2. And by then I was hooked and I wasn’t going to bed with this story unresolved. I binged all 8 in a row.

It felt like Tom Clancy. The plot devices were recognizable. The characters were mostly recognizable (clearly, Jim Greer is the largest departure). It was a CIA international thriller that felt international and felt like Tom Clancy’s hero.

I’m glad there is a Season 2 and I’m already looking forward to it. I think Amazon Prime has its first bona fide hit; perhaps 2nd if you think American Gods is deserving of that description as well.

My only significant criticism is that the plot could have used a little more complication and the season could have been 4 episodes longer. Which really amounts to: I like what that gave me, I just wanted more of it.

Was a good series. A bit predictable in places but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Very well executed overall and kept me binging which very rarely happens. Watch it!

Man, you guys who blow through these series kind of amaze me. I haven’t even started it.

I normally do one or two episodes at a time, myself. Thus far, this is totally worth watching … even with no Dwight, lol.

The Internet’s got you, fam

I’m in your (and the Internet’s) debt, LOL

Yeah, totally agree with everything you said. It felt right for Tom Clancy. I want season 2 now, which is saying something, IMO.

Hopefully season 2 gets Jack onto a sub so he can shout “CRAZY IVAN!”

Well I was planning on game playing tonight, just got through the first 4 episodes, its damn good.

Just finished S1 — That was terrific!

All right, finally caught episode one, really liked that. Even better, the wife liked it, so we’ve found one new thing we can watch together and believe me that’s not an everyday occurrence.

One thing I kept wondering as I was watching - how old is Jack supposed to be? To have had a military career, a Wall Street career, a Ph.D. in economics and also has been an analyst for four years? Mid thirties at least right?

Well, Krasinski is 38. So going backwards:
34 starts Analyst job
30 goes to wall street
25 studies / does PhD
18 goes to WAR

Bit of a stretch, but then he IS fictional…

He went to Boston College. So figure he did ROTC or OCS and becomes a Marine Corps lieutenant at 22.

In the books, the helicopter crash ends his military career very early. So figure he’s out by 23.

Is it at all worth watching if you’re not a fan of the books? I read a few when I was a kid but I mostly cringe thinking about them now.

Never read any of the books only watched the movies and it is well with a watch. It is a well executed TV Thriller .

Its obvious that they spent quite a penny on this show, so its strange that for an intro they just got the Westworld composer to trim down his WW theme to 15seconds, slapped it over a title / dark background and called it a day.

How many people watch the intro more than once? I usually hit the button to skip ahead.

Finished this and loved it. Reminded me a lot of Sleeper Cell, which was a tragically underrated show.

Well, if just a bland 15sec one, obviously not many people, but since its so short its not even worth the effort to find the skip button.

But an intro has a lot of potential to set up a vibe and atmosphere. Just look at the Game of Thrones titles, that really sold the world and has lots of fans with musical cover versions in numerous permutations. Two other recent examples of bingeable shows where I liked the intros were Westworld or Expanse. Though perhaps if you watch 12 episodes a day you might just be impatient and want to cut down the duration slightly…