Amazon's New World MMO

Oh. Well, then I shall weigh your comments accordingly.

I’m actually having a pretty good time in NW, I just think the storage thing is bullshit of a higher tier. It’s particularly punishing to new players – always a wise move by devs! You even need to be level 50 to attempt to address the problem, so it’s just adding to the frustration.

What are you even taking about?

But seriously, people are just lazy. Sure, the split storage can be annoying, but there is plenty of storage available. I spend hours gathering stuff and I have whole towns with empty storage and don’t have any storage chests. The only reason it is more than mildly annoying is because of fast travel costs when you don’t have space to unload.

I don’t think it’s due to people being lazy. If your gameplay time is limited, I think it’s understandably frustrating for people to have to spend a chunk of their session shuttling materials around.

If there were interesting local economies I’d say it’d likely be worth the tradeoff. I think all it adds currently is a fun/time tax.

Anything that’s remotely important to me is in a town with a house or inn. So, recall, grab stuff, recall. It’s not a problem. But I suppose in a world where people think doing a faction quest or two to pay the taxes on a house that week is too much effort, it might be.

You seem to really love New World. Do you mind if I ask why you seem to be defending their design decisions so personally?

I’m with Balasarius. It’s shit design and it drives players away from the game. But I am happy to see that their cratering player count has found a floor. They can now decide if they want to continue to cater to the 75-150k concurrent players or to the 98% of the player base that has decided they’d rather spend their time elsewhere.

It can be frustrating if your gameplay time is unlimited too :)
It’s bad design, or bad execution, and is just another sink in a game of sinks.

At least, that’s my opinion, and why i’m playing other things. Oh, like right now I’ve got to go play make braised beef

Jesus, but your level of disdain is actually measurable.

I forgot to add the part about suggesting an idle clicker might be a better fit. 😅

Admittedly, that does sound fun.

I was quite clear about that in the very same reply you’re quoting, but I guess you were going for the easy retort.

Do I have to do a lot of crafting in this game? I don’t need top tier stuff, just good stuff. It seems like I can buy good stuff at the auction house, or whatever it’s called. Does that dry up at the higher levels?

Honestly I’d just recommend skipping crafting entirely, I wish I had. You will find plenty of gear on the trading post and various drops.

So if I do take the time to gather mats, is that a money-maker on the AH or do I only get that pittance of gold for trashing the stuff?

I’m not sure since I haven’t played for a month or so. At the time I stopped, the economy was in a downward spiral as prices for everything raced to the bottom. Base tier materials like iron and fiber you could typically sell but those prices were also dropping as people either finished grinding crafting or stopped working on it.

Since then there was a big change where they linked the different trading posts. Between that, another month going by, and each server being different I don’t think I could say one way or the other. It wouldn’t hurt to gather some stuff you see along the way, you do get some XP from it.

You get a LOT of xp from crafting as well, so it’s best not to completely ignore it. To a point.

It can be. The best bet might be to gather everything but do zero refining. The refining mats themselves sell for a lot of money. Finding gear will not be an issue. Early, I’d look for tools with azoth extraction and discipline (extra gathering do). Eventually, you can switch discipline for luck.

Mark,

If you are testing the waters to see if you want to jump into the game do yourself a huge, huge favor and wait until the server’s merge. There is a ton of crafting and it’s a way to get great gear along another path instead of the normal dungeon grind experience. There is a ton to like about the game, but you won’t find any of it on a dead server. Gathering basic crafting materials (iron, fiber, green wood, rawhide) is the single best way to make consistent money at all levels, especially if you have limited play time or play sessions.

Taking 30 minutes to go do an iron route or rawhide killspree will net you 1-3k of those materials which reasonably priced will sell quickly and net you a good chunk of gold.

I had good luck gaining levels off the Town Board quests too through gathering and crafting. That seems to depend on the actual town having active projects, though, but there are usually at least a few projects active.

I am a horrible pack rat and can’t resist finding and gathering every type of vegetable and fruit, so once in a while I will check each item on the trading post and got lucky a few times with items like nuts and blueberries and made a good chunk of change. As zen says, though, the basic materials seem to be very efficient and stable money makers.

I finally hit a new tier on one of my characters, level 40, and started gathering materials to get all new gear, including armor and tools and bags, made from someone in the company. I was having a hard time finding anything decently priced on the trading post, but yesterday I was able to get everything for a decent price so am good to go for a while now. A few tools I have to wait til level 42 and 45 to equip, but that is close enough and I was able to get them all with luck and most with either xp gain or more materials gained, so good enough for level 40.

I’ve played a bit – got a character up to level 18. I like the game but I typically dislike crafting at the higher levels. I get tired of trying to round up the more obscure crafting mats needed for higher level items.

Anyway, I’ve done a bit of crafting and I’ll continue to do some when I go to a crafting station and I know a recipe and have the mats. What I’m unlikely to do is see that I need platinum or some such thing and then research where to find it and then go out and get it. I’d rather just quest.

I think Amazon has a winner here. It needs work but if Amazon is committed to it there’s no reason why it can’t grow. I imagine at some point it will be sold at a discount, too.

I agree. I have my share of criticism of the game but I am planning on coming back when there’s an expansion or similar major content drop. That’ll give them time to iron out a lot of bugs, balance issues, and that sort of thing as well.

Their patch results have made me want to be a fly on the wall and watch them do software development. They often manage to break as many things as they fix with each patch.

And I know it’s sort of a pot shot but people have commented that when a bug exists that gives the user an advantage they are quick to patch a fix for it. But when a bug exists that causes users a disadvantage it seems to remain unfixed forever. We have not been able to craft trophies (a furniture item you can place your house) for around two weeks now. But when there was a bug that gave people too much loot from certain kind of monsters, that was patched out in hours.

Amber gems still aren’t fixed last I looked and I’ve been waiting for that one since release. Forever, indeed. :)

Housing tax has been temporarily reduced by 90% to help make up for the dupes and exploits. Not sure how that qualifies as compensation, but there it is.

Also, I thought chests placed in houses are supposed to continue increasing the storage limit if the taxes haven’t been paid. Is it a bug that they’re not, or working as intended?