Amazon's The Wheel of Time ++ Use SPOILER TAGS

Small correction, but Shallan has Dissociative Identity Disorder, not schizophrenia. It used to be known as Multiple Personality Disorder. It’s a common mistake that people make, confusing DID and schizophrenia.

Dalinar is the one who hears voices

Thanks! I had a vague feeling that I was wrong there but I’m as lay as layman gets.

Not new news, but new to me:

And a few other cast photos not yet posted here:

Nice. And I see they also revealed Tam at some point. I loved him as Roose Bolton in GoT, so I’m happy to see him here:

So, is that it for main cast? They all seem to be well cast, assuming they can act…

[Edit] as someone mentioned up thread, it seems as if they haven’t announced any of the Caemlyn based major cast members yet. So still more to come. Min, Elayne, Gawyn, etc… they have posted a bunch more minor cast members on their Twitter feed (eg parents of the Emond’s Field kids, Tinkers, Whitecloaks).

When I read those books I always imagined the characters being much younger, like early twenties. All these actors seem too old to me.

According to this site, you’re right. But it’s pretty typical for a show to up age a bit, so I’m fine with it.

Looking at that list I guess those characters are older in the books. It’s been a while since I’ve read the series.

They all look about right to me. The young characters have young actors and the old characters have older actors.

Or go the other way, and this is way better to me!

Just saw that they announced casting for Min and Siuan Sanche today. Not quite what I’d pictured in my head, but sure, why not…

I wonder how they are going to handle all the gingers in the threefold land. I know I suffer terribly whenever I’m out in the sun.

Eh, but let’s be real. I don’t think they’ll ever get that far in the production. I hope I’ll be proved wrong.

Based on the diverse casting so far, I don’t expect them to adhere to the usual Aiel colouring, let alone slathering them in SPF 1000 sunscreen.

And yeah, if it makes it to Aviendha, I’ll be shocked. Maybe they can cast the “you know nothing Jon Snow” girl.

Amazon has announced a release month for the show. It will premiere this November.

Very cool first poster. Has a subtle nod to the fans by placing Moirane between what could be the sides of a stone arch.

If they pull this off --and lets be honest --there was a lotta long books where very little happened … and then bam! there was some great stuff! Then i will be amazed. Actually Branded Sanderson saved this series in the end – absolutely incredible stuff. I dunno but it probably cannot be done right.

I am eternally optimistic.

From what I’ve been reading, the show runner has completely mapped out the series for eight seasons. That seems a reasonable amount to do the full WoT book series justice while eliminating much of the cruft that wouldn’t translate well to the screen.

Plus, unlike GoT they have the ending actually predetermined by the (co)author. That surely helps.

!?!

!?!?!?!?

(Sometimes I forget how damn long that stupid books series is.)

I mean, good on them for mapping it out and (hopefully) avoiding the fate of GoT, but I just have a hard time believing that any (narratively driven) TV show is going to finish strong after 8 seasons.

I think there are a lot of natural stopping points for each season that can lead to some sense of resolution. Sometimes that will match up well with the books (e.g. Dumai’s Wells, The Cleansing), other times I expect they’ll choose to stop with what leads to enough of a cliffhanger with some resolution of the current season’s challenge (e.g., escaping the White Tower).

We also don’t know how long the seasons will be. Are they the sort of typical 10 - 12? Or are they shorter 6 - 8 episodes each?

My fingers are crossed. The WoT is my favourite epic length fantasy series, warts and all. I really, really, really want to see the Aiel and their progression.

My biggest concerns with these adaptations is that they could easily be cancelled before they finish.