American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

This is my favorite escape and chill game series. I pull out my wheel, put on my VR headset, pick a Classic Rock station on the radio (preferably a local one) and just drive for hours. I don’t play it very often but it works as a kind of meditation for me.

The open beta is now live for ATS, and as well as bringing the trailer ownership changes SCS have also added three new roads to the map and done a bunch of other tweaks and changes.

If you play the beam does the campaign part carry over to the official release?

Typically your progress carries across from official to beta and the other way around fairly hassle-free. Since this has entered public beta sooner than usual there is a higher than usual chance that something may come up that leads to some corruption of data, but you can backup your profile so you have all pre-beta progress still intact.

Or you can create a new secondary profile if you just want to check out the changes quickly.

I just got this yesterday from the Fanatical deal. Did a drive from LA to Fresno. Damn if they didn’t nail the look driving through that part of CA like a thousand percent.

New Mexico was released in November 2017, so I estimate we’ll have a full US map shortly after the inundation of Miami.

Hey if hurricane season trends continue that may not be such a long wait.

I gather that the Oregon DLC is mainly supposed to be about logging roads or something, right? No driving up the Oregon Coast on Highway 101, or with a bigger rig, north to Portland on I-5.

From an old SCS blog post:

Ooh, ends in Astoria? Will it have One-Eyed Willy’s treasure?

That is welcome news. I’d only seen a story on the logging road stuff on RPS and thought that was it.

Hey Astoria, I was just there.

Hopefully they have a way you can drive out onto Sunset Beach. That’d be a fun addition.

Looking like the Pacific Northwest!

I recognized the St John’s, the Hawthorne and the Marquam bridges of Portland, and I think the Newport Bridge (of Newport, on the coast). Spotted the name Biggs in a quick cut (a speck of a town on the Columbia, past The Dalles).

Wish they would head east. I wanna virtually relive sitting in the permanent congestion between Richmond and DC.

I understand their (probably unstated) reasoning for staying anchored in the Southwest – it’s what comes to mind more directly when I think of “classic American trucking.” The East Coast probably looks just a little too similar to Euro Truck Simulator.

But I do look forward to some LA to New York deliveries when they get the country finished in about 2040 or so.

I was a bit off. Maybe 25 years.

If they choose to expand again, the natural and best fit is Utah. Utah has some spectacular scenery, especially in the lower half of the state. It would be neat to make a run from Kanab to Moab using rt 12 & 24.

Rt 12 in Utah is, quite literally, the most beautiful stretch of highway in the US.

You missed the Astoria Megler bridge to Washington. And the 405 Bridge. I’m not sure that you saw the St Johns though, perhaps it was a quick cut I missed.

But here’s the real authenticity test…

How many blackberry patches are they including?

I still want to drive through a Colorado blizzard.