American Truck Simulator and its older sibling, European Truck Simulator

Hmm, depends on what you mean by “not at all tech savvy”. Sadly, I didn’t find the “onboarding” experience in the ATS/ETS games very friendly at all. It felt like a lot of fiddling around to figure out what to do, much less how to even do it. If your father-in-law is liable to get overwhelmed by menus and spreadsheets, I don’t think I’d recommend this series.

That said, I was surely trying to get a campaign underway when I played and this would have been a couple of years ago. It might have changed since then, and there might even be more user-friendly quickstart options available that I don’t know about.

And Oklahoma coming on Monday! :)

That’s interesting. I was going to reply that it’d be very friendly for someone who isn’t tech savvy, but I can see your point about the initial introduction. That could be much better done.

But once you figure out the very basics, which are just a few key strokes (braking, starting the engine, turning, accelerating, backing up), you can pretty much ignore most of the other stuff and you’re good to go for hours and hours and hours. Well, windshield wipers when it rains. And lights.

So although the initial tutorial kind of blows and can leave you confused, if you can look up key strokes in the options, you’re going to be okay in about an hour, and then likely don’t have to look back.

The gameplay objectives are also intuitive, because you’re not repairing a space station, you’re driving. You don’t have to learn what to do, just how to do it.

I was able to get my grandfather (89) to play this game. After a few sessions where I was there for him to help him get used to using a controller and fine-tuning his controls, he loves it and spends hours playing it. Perfect fit for someone who doesn’t get to go on road trips as often as they used to and doesn’t require twitch hand eye coordination.

I’m envisioning making one of those WordPerfect cardboard keyboard overlays…

Ha! For sure. Or just a little cheat sheet sitting on the side. If someone who knows how to play could sit with him the first couple of times, I’d think he’d be in the clear. I mean, a lot depends on your definition of “not at all tech savvy”, but Oklahoma is getting released next week, and once that happens everything will go on sale. The base game will just be a few bucks, so not a great loss to try it and see how it goes.

Thinking a bit more, however, I distinctly remember now that it took me some time to get the distinction between “looking around” in the game and “turning”. I forget what I settled on with the keyboard. With a wheel, it’s much easier. But yeah, getting comfortable with how to look around while you are driving could take some time if you are using a keyboard and trying to drive at the same time.

I will say, additionally, that I found driving with a keyboard to be un-fun. I actively disliked the game playing that way, as the turning feels so wrong and maybe I never figured out how to get the looking around part down comfortably. The game popped to life for me when I stuck a wheel on the computer.

Unfortunately, new wheels are pricey nowadays. But I know a lot of people who play without a wheel. If he likes it, a wheel could always make for a nice gift. :)

Oh, absolutely, and I should have been more clear! Once you’re in the cab going somewhere, it’s simple, intuitive, fun, relaxing, and probably the perfect game for Kevin’s father-in-law!

But I do recall it seemed inordinately complicated to get my first truck, set up my company, figure out why there were so many routes and which ones were best for me, and so on. But that might just be because I was starting a campaign game. Hopefully, someone who’s played more recently can jump in and let us know if there’s a more convenient “quickstart” option that I’m just not remembering.

And, of course, it’s only an issue inasmuch as someone being “not tech savvy” relates to sifting through information as opposed to, say, working a controller.

I found it worked well with a controller. And contrary to your experience, I actually didn’t mind using a keyboard (you have to couple it with the mouse for mouselooking around!). I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked once you got past that initial hump of “WTF I’m driving with a keyboard”. It’s not a game that requires dramatic motions or overcorrection once you’ve learned it and you’re trundling down the highway, so discreet keyboard taps here and there are a perfectly cromulent way to stay on course. But I can completely understand your reaction to “keyboard driving” as it’s clearly not like any actual driving I’ve ever done!

Ah, yes, good point. That can be confusing, and I don’t think there is any help whatsoever clarifying the differences among Quick Jobs, the Freight Market, External Contracts, and the Cargo Market. Or how to buy your first truck. Or how to hire people. The tutorial basically stops after your first five-minute delivery, if I’m not mistaken. It’s basically a “Good Luck” kind of thing.

That gives me an idea for a video, actually. The ones I created where I get started are popular, but they aren’t really tutorials and assume a lot of knowledge. A video called, “What to do after your first delivery” might be quite helpful. … thinking

Good points, yes. I didn’t use a keyboard for a long time before I gave up, but I vaguely remember feeling like I needed three hands. One for turning, one for looking around with the mouse (which I never got comfortable with, not sure why as it’s pretty standard in FPS games and whatnot.) and one for everything else. I’m sure I could have gotten it down, but I had an old wheel lying around, and hooking that up was easier than getting comfortable with the keyboard.

Not to discourage you, but Squirrel has you covered:

Ah, good to know. I’ll watch that for ideas, thanks!

And we have Oklahoma, ok?

First time I think I’m gonna skip the dlc release event.

Arkansas or GTFO

Yeah, gotta go to Little Rock one day. In American Truck Simulator it would be easier. And cheaper :)

Hmmm. Wyoming is 50% off, but Montana is only 30% and Texas 10%. Might wait for the next sale and get two at a decent discount.

I’ve got a handful of deliveries in with Oklahoma now. Fun little state. I think the challenging part for SCS Software is how to get these midwestern states to compete in splendor with the Colorados and Wyomings of the west. They’ve definitely captured the vibe of Oklahoma and I’m fine with it, but it’s flat and midwestern. :)

I haven’t been playing truck sims much, but I might wait for this one to hit sale when the rest of the flyover states complete.

I’ve seen a fair number of reviews with the word “boring” attached to them. I wonder if this will be a problem for SCS Software going forward. I mean, Nebraska? Kansas? Iowa? They just don’t have the visual pop of the mountains and coastal states. Nothing against the midwest (I live in it), but yeah, it’s not the most stunning scenery for driving.

Definitely was a prime candidate for bundling a few states together.

One state per DLC is also gonna be annoying when we hit the tiny states in the NE.

I wonder if they might sprinkle in some more map specific gameplay tweaks to try to incentivise people to buy them.

I’d be surpised if they do individual releases for New England. I can see NY as its own, and maybe CT, but the RI/MA/NH/VT need to be bundled. Maine can probably be its own.