An innovative reinvention of Populous (Peter Molyneux's Godus)

Oh definitely not a “haters gonna hate” type of thing. People have valid reasons for distrusting his promises. Though it often seems to turn into a personal kind of vindictiveness against anything he does.

Regardless, and obviously in my humble and personal opinion, I think he’s one of those guys who are great to have around. Even when people make fun of him, his enthusiasm inspires. And him and his teams have done a lot for genres of gaming I love.

We’ll see what comes out of this project. But I was happy to chime in a small amount to show support. Not to bet the farm on his ideas though. :)

Wendelius

newest kickstarer update has some graphical explanation!

Mr. Molyneux has apparently found publisher in Japanese mobile game titan DeNA.

Newest update… seems they are thinking of expanding the alpha (pay more now to get in?) and are going to send out questionnaires regarding this soon.

LINK

For backers only, can’t read it…

This is on Steam now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/232810/

I have to say that the art direction is awesome.

Yes, I do like the look. Hmm…

BeeeeeeetTA Sept 13th!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHgz5icocU

Glad I kickstarted this, I even get a little in game kickstarter supporter statue! :p

PAX BETA DEMO!

WOW, I guess this will be news tomorrow once the GODUS beta goes live. Apparently there is a in game store to allow you to spend real money to buy GEMS to help advance your civilization in game. People on the 22cans forum are already screaming Pay2Win.

Proof:
http://www.grissomsbasketcase.com/games/godus/index.html

UPDATE! Molyneux responded with his own topic thread.

As a designer, this new world of sharing development and design with the community playing the game is super exciting. The focus that the forum has on gems needs me to explain some thoughts on this feature.

This is the way I think of Gems in Godus beta:

1. We need to test these systems for the future of the game
  2. You should never NEED to buy gems, it will never be a block to the game. There are plenty in the game for your followers to find for you, in the form of tribute.
  3. In the last 100 hours of playthoughs I have balanced the game in a way that I have not purchased a single gem.
  4. You cannot buy game features with gems, only effectively speed things up, because of feedback we removed gems spending on features
  5. Gems cannot be used in multiplayer, in no way are they used as a pay to win mechanic.
  6. I regard buying gems as cheating, but some people love to cheat.

Please remember Gems is part of the experiment, how much we use gems we need to test, like any experiment this could result in huge changes in the balance, and even possibly radically removing any motivation to from gems.

The most crucial thing at this stage is to see how the gems experiment plays out. We have already learnt a lot from your feedback so in todays update we will be removing all references and abilities to spend or buy gems from the first establishment period. We will also be looking at the analytics so if people are spending too many gems on the wrong things, hence running out of gems, we will rebalance.

Please believe we love this game and we will never do anything which will make feature like gems be corrosive to what we hope will be a wonderful and delightful experience.

Peter Molyneux

I don’t think I can link to godus forums , since they are for backers only.

Beta / Steam Early access, sooooooooon.

How about NOW! ;)

Have to say it is a slowwwww burn. Some people are going to absolutely hate it.
Given that ARMA III, Dominions 4, and Card Hunter are all vying for my current attention it has it’s job cut out for it but so far… so good.

Do tell me more, please…

Played the beta for many hours yesterday. It’s still difficult to say whether it’ll become a fun game but I have to admit that the land sculpting alone is oddly compelling and addictive (plus the terrain engine looks gorgeous).

There are two layers to the game: the persistent meta-game where you slowly advance your civilization and one-off missions and multiplayer matches which are more fast paced (10-30 minutes per match).

BTW, I wouldn’t watch game-play videos of the beta if you intend to play the game at some point. A lot of the fun in the early game comes from discovering different game mechanics via experimentation.

I played it for about 3 hours today. I really enjoyed it- the land sculpting was well done, and the constant progression carrots kept me hooked.

However, there is a free to play currency called “gems” involved. There is a mechanic in the game where you have to click on every house in your world to collect belief (mana).

This is a total pain in the ass.

However, you eventually unlock the ability to make a “settlement”, which links together several houses together so you can click on a single house to collect belief from all adjacent houses. You need to save up a fair amount of belief to create one of these houses. The cost keeps going up, and after you’ve created your third settlement… well…

You then have to pay not in belief for your next settlement (the constant currency created by your world)- but in “gems”.

Gems can be purchased through the in-game store interface. It is currently not online yet, but you are initially given 100 gems. See where this is going?

It’s a free to play game masked in a $20 early access game.

Here is what Peter says about the “gem” economy:

Peter:

As a designer, this new world of sharing development and design with the community playing the game is super exciting. The focus that the forum has on gems needs me to explain some thoughts on this feature.

This is the way I think of Gems in Godus beta:

1. We need to test these systems for the future of the game
  2. You should never NEED to buy gems, it will never be a block to the game. There are plenty in the game for your followers to find for you, in the form of tribute.
  3. In the last 100 hours of playthoughs I have balanced the game in a way that I have not purchased a single gem.
  4. You cannot buy game features with gems, only effectively speed things up, because of feedback we removed gems spending on features
  5. Gems cannot be used in multiplayer, in no way are they used as a pay to win mechanic.
  6. I regard buying gems as cheating, but some people love to cheat.

Please remember Gems is part of the experiment, how much we use gems we need to test, like any experiment this could result in huge changes in the balance, and even possibly radically removing any motivation to from gems.

The most crucial thing at this stage is to see how the gems experiment plays out. We have already learnt a lot from your feedback so in todays update we will be removing all references and abilities to spend or buy gems from the first establishment period. We will also be looking at the analytics so if people are spending too many gems on the wrong things, hence running out of gems, we will rebalance.

Please believe we love this game and we will never do anything which will make feature like gems be corrosive to what we hope will be a wonderful and delightful experience.

Peter Molyneux

Apparently you can find your own gems in the game. But- the very fact that there is an alternate currency you can purchase to make your life easier while playing makes me very nervous.

It’s quite an amazing game, but I can’t recommend it in it’s current cynical state.

The “click on every house to collect mana!” seems a pain in the ass, a mechanic just introduced not to make the game better, but just a F2P hook.

I like how relaxed the game is.

I dunno, economy, micromanagement, battles over vast distances. . . sounds to me like this is the next Korean esport! “HE’S OVER 600 BCPM–THAT’S BELIEF CLICKS PER MINUTE, ARTOSIS”

“IF HE SPENDS ANY MORE MONEY ON GEMS, HE’LL HAVE HARDLY ANY PRIZE MONEY TO TAKE HOME!”

I think it’s pretty novel to charge $19.99 and then continue to significantly freemium the user gameplay-wise. And by novel I mean I will never buy this game.

Distinctly unconvinced so far. The terraforming controls are way too finicky, and the belief clicking is just obnoxious. If one or the other were addressed (preferably both), it could be decent.