An innovative reinvention of Populous (Peter Molyneux's Godus)

I am sure both are going to be addressed in some way, the forum posts @ 22cans and the general response everywhere seems to point that these are 2 major issues.

Hilarious “review” of the beta code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69_jRAWFkM

CLICKING

Game is still broken , I am like 10 hours in, cannot get the mining card, can’t get gems, so I am stalled.

Apparently I can grind a few multiplayer battles which I would have to win, and then possibly get the chance of a mining card drop.

:|

Yeah, in my game I still haven’t even been able to get what I need to unlock the settlement power and I’ve done all the tutorial missions I can. I’m basically stuck moving hills around looking for chests which is a really boring way to tech up.

On sale today at steam for $9.99. Anyone who played it want to weigh in?

Also curious about the state of this.

Not worth it until they do some major updating. I got this when they first offered it up on steam and while I’ve had a fair amount to fun messing around, I think the devs are a bit lost in terms of what to do with it. Been a while since the last update. Apparently they are working on a significant iteration, but that’s no guarantee it will be any good.

Well, that review helped me decide.

The best things in life happens when people man up and tell it like it is.

Generally speaking, if you have to click to collect resources, and there’s a lot of resources to collect, that’s a bad thing. It’s strongly indicative that there isn’t much to do in the game, so the designer forces you to spend time clicking so you don’t notice that.

About the only game I can think of that forced me to collect resources manually that was acceptable was Plants vs. Zombies.

What I got from the excessive clicking was that the game was designed around pissing you off to the point where you had to spend “diamonds” to create structures that reduced the amount of time you spent having to click.

Which reeked of microtransaction-based design, although Peter denies this is the case.

As someone who logs in once a day to Clash of Clans to click on 8 different bits of the screen to collect resources and then maybe I might build something once the builders have finished: Godus looks like a microtransaction Farmville style game, but far, far, far worse as much more stuff to click.

ps: That review is great. I don’t know who VideoGamerTV are but I like them. (edit: Ahh, that Matt Lees is the same guy I mentioned here. Baader-Meinhof to the max.

In a semi-recent developer update they were showing how they were going to ditch the click to collect resources in favor of a “hold the left mouse button down to vacuum them up” I’m quite critical of Godus at this point, but I’m also aware of how much and how often things change over the course of development.

That’s still clueless. They have this awful mechanic, and instead of doing away with it entirely and just having automated collection, like every decent strategy game since the 80’s, they’re refining the UI for manual resource collection. Isn’t anyone there asking why moving faith to the player’s bank account requires player action?

Dammitall man, if manual micromanagement of resource collection was good enough for Starcraft 1 in 1998, then it’s good enough for Godus in 2013!!!

In all honesty, after following the aforementioned “video review” link in the OP, I ended up watching like 3 hours of late-game LPs, only to discover that the current “late game” extends midway through the 2nd age of like, uh, 9 planned ages, and it took those players 25-30 hours to reach that point by manually grinding resources in the most painstaking way imaginable, and even basic stuff like moving terrain looked to be horribly broken.

Jeeze :-/

On sale for $9.99 on steam today.

I’m thinking about it.

Someone pull the trigger and let us know if they’ve been taken in by Peter M. Again.

Bumping to help you see the light. Until you see evidence that this shit is stripped and there is actually some game there, seems like a waste of time and money.

Total biscuit likes the underlying system, although he still has problems with the implementation

This one is funny: