Android Games Thread

I just used some credits to pick up Dungeons of Aether. Slice & Dice is amazing but if you buy it on itch.io you get the PC and the Android versions. Sentinels of the Multiverse is my long-term Android love though!

Through the ages has decent AI

Just wanted to point out that Crash Dive 2 is a superlative WW2 sub sim, and not just ā€œas a mobile gameā€. Iā€™d play it on PC. Itā€™s miles above the old CD1 and Iā€™d put it almost ip there with SH3.

Iā€™ve had an android phone (Galaxy S20) that is decent for gaming (Snapdragon 865, Adreno CPU) for 2 years now but never bothered to install any games until recently. I thought, ā€œWhy am I wasting my phoneā€™s power?ā€ and went hog wild and installed emus, some roms, and a few Google Play store games I bought a few years ago (ie Harbinger). Iā€™m typically disgusted by what modern mobile games have become (gatchas, IAPs and microtransactions up the gazoo designed by drugmasters to feed the addictions of fools and their monies soon parted) but there must be at least SOME good things out there in mobile gameland, right? Will be browsing this topic for suggestions because- well, I trust you, my brothers, that you wonā€™t lead me to the gamedope-peddlers.

For me the best of Android gaming is to use Magic DOS box and use your GOG DOS games. Your phone doesnā€™t need to be that powerful. The low resolution is a plus for a phone. You can use a kb + mouse. Since you have a Samsung, use Dex and play the games on a monitor when at home. Some of the best games of all time are DOS games: MoM, MOO, MOO2, XCOM, Colonization. Lots of great DOS RPGs too.

Thereā€™s also Winlator which lets you run some Windows games. Itā€™s free and open source.

Another great one is to buy Diablo 1 on GOG and use the Devolution mod to run it on Android. No server connection needed and you can save any time.

As mentioned upthread, if you have a Netflix account, they have some great games on there for ā€˜freeā€™ (no micro transactions, you just need to have a paid up sub). Into the Breach, Terra Nil, Kentucky Route Zero, others.

1 Like

I bought Magic DOSBox from GooglePlay a few years ago and liked it. Played 2 or 3 levels of Star Wars Dark Forces, I think, using the onscreen direction keys (that this was workable in an FPS on android is somewhat of a miracle). My device at the time was an Asus mediatek-based tablet which was not ideal. I liked that it simulated mouse control with touchscreen functions. The developer seemed quite responsive and helpful on his forum at the time. I donā€™t know what the support is like these days.

I used a DOS frontend for it on android that no longer runs on later Android builds. Using touchscreen controls, especially diagonal presses, in emus and frontends like Lemuroid (retroarch-based) seems more slugguish than I remember, and I think I saw someone say itā€™s because of Android 13 (what my S20 uses).

I agree. I tried the demo, was very impressed, and bought it immediately.

Are you referring to Magic DOS Box running on the latest version of Android? I have an S22 Ultra with the latest version of Android it it runs fine. Though I only play old DOS kb + m games.

The touchscreen on-screen controller issues? No, it seems a problem that might be specific to Lemuroid, but maybe not. Itā€™s just not a good, feasible way to play a lot of games, imo, particularly action games and the Fighting genre, that require diagonal presses using the on-screen controls on a 6.5" screen (which is why a lot of people use bluetooth controllers on their devices for gaming, but I want my device to be truly portable and Iā€™d probably feel a little self-conscious whipping out my big fire-engine red DS4 controller on a plane or something lol).