Android performance in 2016 is (less) embarrassingly awful

Have you actually used a relatively modern Android device, or is this just based on extrapolating benchmark scores to real-world performance?

Feel free to read through

It absolutely doesn’t. I’ve never accidentally closed a page or opened a new one when trying to refresh. In fact, if your hand isn’t oriented properly to swipe far enough, you’ll fail to close/open a new tab and refresh instead. That does happen at times and can be a bit annoying.

Regarding JavaScript on Android, i believe that since that article was written, a number of fairly large JavaScript performance improvements were made in chrome. Build 49 had quite a large number of fixes targeted at JavaScript improvements, i believe.

Thread title needs to be changed to 2015.

We can change it to “Android performance is embarrassingly awful unless you bought a brand new Snapdragon 820 device, which was only available starting in March 2016” :D

@timex the JS perf is still bad, run the benchmark yourself on your own device. Interestingly, the newer devices still suffer, but at least we know it’s no longer due to anomalously low CPU perf…

The pixel C, with the tegra X1 and the Maxwell gpu, has put up some impressive benchmarks well.

That happens to me … a lot. I don’t know. I didn’t even realize that was what was happening until you pointed out the behavior in this thread. I find myself refreshing and at the last second I realize the ball (in the middle of the top) is on the X and it’s going to delete and … It’s too late. And I think damn. Got to open that page again.

Weird. Maybe it’s because I have the bigger iphone, the extra size makes it more difficult to slide far enough to one side to activate either of the options.

Good because you should. The snapdragon 810 was a massive POS which pretty much screwed the android 2015 revs. It ran way too hot for a mobile processor and forced tons of workarounds and late chip swaps.

Reading your posts you seem enamoured with stuff that makes your life easier by such small percentages. This is 15 seconds quicker, this makes my life 10 seconds faster.

Most of us just don’t worry if they may have to scroll to the top manually, or can’t swoosh up down left and right to save 5 seconds. It’s like you are being anal about being anal.

I have an iPhone 6+ and an iPad2. I swapped my tablet to a Samsung Galaxy S2 because it was £150 quid cheaper than the ipad mini 4 and had double the memory and takes a nice 64 gig sd card. My phone contract runs out in 4 months and android here I come. Of course I am now panicking over a double swipe, tap to the top, multi core non performance system and how my life will cope with this…NOT ;)

Perhaps not when your data point is a sample size of one. But at scale, across thousands of sites and thousands of users, it matters. I’ve built a top 50 internet site in Stack Overflow, and we cared a lot about performance – and lots of people benefit from getting answers quickly as a result.

Marissa started with a story about a user test they did. They asked a group of Google searchers how many search results they wanted to see. Users asked for more, more than the ten results Google normally shows. More is more, they said. So Marissa ran an experiment where Google increased the number of search results to thirty. Traffic and revenue from Google searchers in the experimental group dropped by 20%.

(… and You Won’t Believe What Happened Next!)

There are thousands of Discourse sites out there, and the faster they load, the faster people can read, the more they can do. We’re doing our part. I need Android to do its part too, given that smartphones are basically the only computers most people are using these days…

Yeah, you should really take your servers off of Snapdragon chips. That’s a good point.

To be fair, they should also stop just relying on my near-encyclopaedic knowledge of Qt3 threads and members for their DB queries, too.

Hold up, someone wants to load post 4000 of the Youtube thread. Gotta go think for awhile to remember what it was about.

Hi all, I’m @geggis’s partner in crime and an Android geek, so when he sent me a link to this thread I felt compelled to join in.

Here is a chart from March 2016:

The Qualcomm 820 scores higher than the Apple A9, but the chips are pretty close.

(I’m a new user so had to split my post in half as I could only post one pic…)

A good comparison between phones would be the iPhone 6S Plus and the Huawei Nexus 6P – both came out in September 2015.

From Phandroid:

The Nexus 6P has the 810, so the 6S has a faster processor, but the Nexus has an extra GB of RAM which should make up for this. The Nexus has some other great specs too, and was $250 cheaper at launch than its Apple rival.

The iPhone 7 is rumoured to have an A10 chipset around 20% faster than the A9, and the Snapdragon 821 is said to be 10% faster than the 820, so they’ll be close again this year.

We’ll see. Anyway, Android wins it for me in terms of innovation, customisation, and getting more bang for your buck. Android devices are pushing 20MP cameras with 6GB RAM, while iPhones are only just ramping up to 3GB and 12MP.

Oh, and @wumpus the Axon 7 also looks incredible; it has the 820, but 6GB RAM, and is rumoured to have the best stereo speakers on a smartphone - if audio’s your bag.

Tim going back to this post, consider the expectations of battery life and durability. Phones and in particular metal-body iphones aren’t going to handle drops that well. I kept my iPhone 5 naked and suffered the consequences too. Everyone drops their phone. I’d be surprised if you’ve used say a Spigen Armor case this whole time.

In terms of battery life, if you’re doing full discharges it won’t last long. It’s true with any phone. With lithium technology, a full discharge daily could mean a 30% drop in battery capacity in as few as 200 cycles (7 months). Alternatively if you discharge to 50% only, then you might get 1,500 cycles. Your puffed battery may have been a defect but it could also be heat, iPhones have a heat fail-safe but if you left your phone in a hot car repeatedly, a puffed battery will happen eventually. Possible?

My iPad gen 1 (purchased April 2010) still has 7-8 hours of movie-watching battery life, because it’s only been discharged fully a few dozen times. That said I have no qualms discharging my phone or devices when necessary and actually being used (e.g. away from power) just not for no reason or out of laziness.

Also a lot of people don’t mind these issues because they create an excuse to upgrade :).

I just bought a new battery for a few bucks!

Try that on an iphone!

I loved my Nexus (the first curved one). That ran so sweet. I like my current Note 3, though it is getting on and exhibits the occasional odd behavior. But holy moly does it have the worst camera of any smartphone I have ever owned. It is beyond terrible.

Have a OnePlus 3 here and scrolling down posts still lags compared to my 6S Plus. Using Adblock Browser.

I always find it hilarious when people talk about JavaScript and performance.

The w3c needed to invent a proper web bytecode format 10 years ago, or whenever html5 was popped out. Not doing so is pretty criminal in my mind – it’s the tech equivalent of child neglect.