Android - what's in your pocket?

Not only do I use the Edge browser on my Essential PH-1, I use the Microsoft Launcher!

I like the sync with my desktop and tablet.

Wait, you’re still not on Windows 10? Are you not starting to experience other compatibility issues by now, besides just needing the Edge browser on Windows 10?

I’m currently on a MacBook Pro at work, which is one issue.

And no, no issues so far with Win7.

How is the MS launcher? I’m tempted by it.

I’m liking it. It’s got all (most?) of the customization of competing launchers – at least enough for me. It’s fast, clean and syncs my stuff to my other Windows devices.

I also use Outlook for Android, and have disabled the Google Mail app, FWIW. I don’t use Google’s Contacts or Calendar apps either.

How much longer will MS be providing security patches for Windows 7, anyway?

They extended support until January 2020, but they could extended it again when that time comes. Maybe not though, since it came out in 2009, and by 2020 it will have been supported for 11 years.

I dunno, I’ll be forced to switch to Win10 when I get a new rig later this year.

I think it actually came out in 2008, in the Fall–I remember going to a launch event to get a free disc/licence…and they only gave out 32-bit versions. #smh #sadtrombone

(they corrected this later)

By the way, this week, Windows 10 is official 3 years old.

Installing all these MS apps on an android phone just seems… wrong.

Well, I have chrome on my windows PC.

Yeah, it’s not that strange. I have the outlook app installed on my android phone for my work email, whereas I use Gmail or Inbox for my personal email. The outlook app is a good one. I also use the Microsoft Word app for various things. It’s a really nicely designed app. Microsoft has good android developers.

The screen of my aged Galaxy S6 shattered in my pocket from a non-contact injury (clearly inspired by the World Cup). I activated an old S5 and honestly barely notice the difference other than OS version.

I have provided this story for the sole purpose of giving @wumpus nightmares ;)

Nevermind wumpus, I twitch when people who can tolerate unsupported, non-patched OSes. Yes, I realize Stagefright, Spectre etc are still academic vulnerabilities without widespread real-world applications.

C’mon, get yourself something nice like the OnePlus 6 with the finally-not-too-sucky-at-last Snapdragon 845. You’re worth it!

I am actually switching carriers soonish and am just bridging the gap.

So, I have it installed. What kind of cool things can I do with it?

I went from an s6 straight to an s9 a while back and the difference is enormous. One year is generally fairly negligible, but two or more can be a huge leap.

I didn’t even realize until I restarted the phone that the Knox encryption was on by default and it was still crushing the older one in how quickly and smoothly it was doing everything.

What’s the current state of the Essential Phone? I am under the impression that it failed, but that the camera is sort of good. It’s 250.00 on Amazon, and if it keeps getting security updates, it’s a pretty great deal for the hardware.