Android - what's in your pocket?

I like the Spigen cases. Does the Pixel 3 have a curved screen? The Moto X4 does and my glass screen protector only wanted to stay on for several months.

Anyone have any experience with the Sony phones? The XA1 plus is going for 250 on Amazon.

Alright, I pulled the trigger. Both on Pixel 3, and those two accessories you pointed out, and this $26 accessory that should let me listen to music in the car using my aux cable, while charging my phone at the same time:

It’s the only model I found that actually had a lot of reviews.

Will a phone that is set to AT&T, even if sold by an outside provider, still only work with AT&T.

I have a Pixel 3 nonXL. It seems good. Battery lasts forever. I had a Galaxy S6 before so probably anything would have seemed way nicer.

I’m kind of excited because this is the first time since the OnePlus One that I’ll have what is considered “the latest” phone. When I got the Nexus 6p two years ago, the day I got it, the Pixel 1 had just come out and they released a new Wallpaper app in celebration. I downloaded that Wallpaper app on my Nexus 6p and it ran like a dog. It was so disheartening for a new phone, you know? :)

6p has served me okay for the last two years, but it has always been a little slow at everything.

giphy

Glad my indecision back in September allowed me to get a freaking flagship phone today for the same price as the LG G7 that I was looking at 2 months ago.

@inactive_user its the time to upgrade to just about any model if you haven’t. Google went crazy with the deals today.

Possibly. There may be a carrier lock on the phone. You’d have to do some research on the very specific phone model to see if it can be unlocked free or cheaply. That said, carrier branded phones can be sold as carrier unlocked so they may be advertised as such. Then you are typically restricted by the specific network type the phone is designed for. Like an At&t phone might work with T-Mobile, but not Sprint.

TIL this thread is tl;dr ;)

Moto Z2 force on eBay is selling for 229.00, but only the AT&T version.

Hey this isn’t android but I’m going there anyway.

So, this year, folks may be aware, Chromebooks started being able to run Linux applications. Originally, it was only the super expensive Pixelbook, which honestly, I couldn’t understand why it even existed, as $1k negates one of the chief advantages of chomebooks (they are cheap).

However, now, apparently tons of chromebooks can run Linux apps:

And, at the same time, a bunch of chromebooks are on sale right now.

I currently have an old Asus Flip c100p, which I use all the time and is awesome (I’m using it right now), but unfortunately is too old to support the linux VM thing.

So I’ve been considering getting a new chromebook, and I was wondering if anyone has actually used the linux VM capability to run linux stuff on ChromeOS?

Specifically, what I’m thinking of, is that I want to run Eclipse, and set up my development environment… Anyone done that?

I bought one of those and couldn’t get it to work with my 2XL.

Then I bought the Anker Roav unit, and I like it well enough. It connects reliably and charges well; the audio quality on phone calls could be better, though that is mostly a function of my loud economy car, quieter cars should be fine.

We have a Roav as well and are very happy with it overall.

My car can read MP3 files from a thumbdrive. I don’t get a lot of calls on my phone. Plus using a smartphone while driving scares me.

Yeah but loading MP3 files on a thumbdrive is so 2009. Also recent podcasts are pretty much on equal importance with gasoline and wheels, in terms of getting me to travel by car.

With the thumbdrive it’s much easier for me to navigate the file/folder tree. I haven’t yet found an Android app that can do this easily over Bluetooth. (Which reminds me I should also check whether this is possible on my Windows Phone, since I still use it a lot for multimedia.)

So this thing can communicate with my car somehow even though my car doesn’t have bluetooth? Through the FM transmitter? So I play my audiobook or podcast on the phone, and it’s transmitted over bluetooth to the device, and it transmits it to an FM frequency that I tune into on the car radio? Sounds needlessly complicated. I hope that thing I bought works.

Windows Phone is the Betamax of the last decade. It’s the superior product that never gained the popularity it should have.

:runs-and-hides:

Then how do you use Waze?

Wutz?