Android - what's in your pocket?

Holy shit this thing is a lot faster!

Wow, flashback from 2002!

Except back then it was Mapquest that I used to print out, I believe.

I tried out Waze. So far I’m very unimpressed with the routes it gave me to get home from work. They were the same three routes that Google Maps gives me, which feature

1. The best route, that I use every day, but time estimation was much more optimistic than Google maps. (Google map’s time estimate was better).
  2. The most direct route, which has too much traffic, but still a more optimistic estimation on time than GMaps. Just like Google maps, it missed a slightly better route that takes the highway at the end of the route.
  3. A weird route that I’ve only used once, that it thought would take the longest, but still a more optimistic duration than Google Maps.

So yeah, very unimpressed so far. I’ll keep using Waze, see if it gets better over time.

OMG I haven’t fallen immediately in love with a piece of tech like this in a long time. Very wowed so far.

I forget where you on a Nexus 5x?

Yeah. It was so old.

I know! Mine is so tired of rebooting, lol. Once a day for almost a year now, else it just doesnt work right.

It is a new day, brother!

I haven’t seen the video yet, but just that static image, with the sale on Google/Project Fi, that’s almost what we paid for the PIxel 3 ($200 off, $200 in Fi Credit, $53 credit for trading in Nexus 6p = $347 + tax).

Its not a PocoPhone , we should all regret our Pixel 3 purchases. :D

Besides the routing, the main features that people like about Waze is that it crowdsources data about things like collisions, red light camera, cops, etc.

Google Maps telling you about an accident up ahead that’s causing a delay and then suggesting an alternate route is directly lifted from when Waze did the same feature a year earlier, and Maps team felt confident enough to integrate into their app.

Like Brian and I mentioned, Waze works best when you’re very familiar with the area. Also, you can basically preview cutting edge features ahead of when Maps adds them. Plus you can sometimes change voices, like when I had Mr. T or Arnold Schwarzenegger as my navigation!

His Terminator was the best. “Hazard reported ahead. GET DAAHN!!”

I’m just going to periodically come here and gush for the next week or so, fair warning. This is so fast and so pretty, and so many of the UX touches in new Android are fantastic. I’m over the frickin moon here.

No worries, I felt the same way after going from a Nexus 5 to an Essential.

Oh my goddddddd and the screen is so much better. Particularly the blacks and the colors on lower brightness. And something between the DAC and the buds that came with it sound much better than my old cheapo earbuds, though I haven’t tried it with my super fancy Bose set yet.

Yeah I wish Essential and One Plus were Fi compatible.

Me too man.

I don’t remember what the year was, but I bought a version of Microsoft Streets that game with a GPS dongle that had a suction cup on it. We’d have to stick it to the car window and put the laptop on the passenger’s lap. No one wanted to have that on the lap the entire time so undoubtedly when we needed directions and had to fire it up and sync the GPS, it was too late and we missed wherever we needed to turn.

Wow, you can even listen to music on this one thing’s speakers and not roll your eyes at the sound quality. Wonders never cease!