Android - what's in your pocket?

Why should I have to buy something extra for my new device?

The fact that adapters exist are the reason why the 3.5 jack should still be in phones. We haven’t moved past analog headphones yet. Phone companies are just outsourcing the cost and hassle to consumers. (and headphone manufacturers)

Yes, the Pixel 3 comes with usb-c buds and an adapter.

So a free adapter to boot!

Still can’t charge and jam at the same time, which is one of my primary use cases. Headphone jack and expandable storage are absolute musts for me. Pity, cuz other stuff about the Pixel is neat. Oh well.

USB-c flash drive? ;)

Wireless charging, never look back. I mean, expandable storage can totally be a deal breaker. But toss $12 wireless charging pad by your your desk and one by your bed and it changes the whole workflow of things.

@inactive_user, does it come with a wireless charger too?

Wireless charger is a separate purchase. There might have been a promo for a free one bundled in if you ordered by a certain time, but there isn’t a wireless charger in the box (at least not for the Pixel 3 XL).

OR just get a phone with a lot of storage. This Essential I think has 128GB, and I’m maybe using a 3rd of it with tons of apps. It’s great.

Or stream your music because it’s 2018, ya mutants ;)

That’s pretty much all I do anymore, I don’t have any music on my phone.

Oh man okay the earbuds with the Assistant integration are fantastic.

I, like my namesake Mr. Rubin, own (and love) an Essential PH-1. The phone came with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, which I used for a little while with my legacy earbuds/headphones.

Now,I use true wireless earbuds, and I throw a cheapo pair of USB-C earbuds for backups in my bag if I’m travelling. Once you go Bluetooth audio, you’ll never jack in again. I don’t understand the kerfuffle over 3.5mm audio jacks. We’ve moved past that!

And with 128GB on-board, I have plenty of room for a ton of apps, plus all my go-to music, and I’m still less than 60% used. My entire music collection is synced with Google Play Music, so if I want to listen to something I haven’t downloaded directly, I can always stream.

Apparently not. :/

Because 3.5mm audio has been a standard for fifty years, and still has plenty of advantages over wireless audio from both a quality and an “oh crap, I forgot to charge my headphones!” standpoint.

My only issue with streaming music is that I’m no longer on an unlimited plan. I’m on Project Fi, where the more you stream on cellular, the more you pay. So I changed my habits and only play local music from my phone again. I just download the songs I need from Google Play Music to my phone before I go for a workout.

What’s the assistant integration? Verbal commands or something? What playback software does it work with?

I haven’t delved it fully, but the simple fact that there’s a button on the inline controls to fire up Assistant and that it’ll read notifications to me are golden.

So for the last couple of days, while I wait for the Pixel 3, I’ve been doing my homework, backing stuff up to transfer to the new phone. I did this with the original Galaxy Nexus, then the OnePlus One, then the Nexus 6p, and now to the Pixel 3. I back up my Whatsapp messages and my SMS messages (and MMS and images). Whatsapp is tied to my Google Drive, it was easy enough to back up (7.5 Gigs at this point). SMS messages and images are now quite big.

First the App “SMS Backup and Restore” makes an XML file where it puts everything, then it uploads it to Google Drive for you. Well, I kept failing in that first step. It would take about 1-2 hours of working, and then fail, because of lack of space on my Nexus 6p’s 32 GB drive. So each time I would make more room. And then it would fail, so I’d make more room, and delete more files and more apps from my phone.

I got rid of all my music. All my apps except for Whatsapp, Google Maps, and a couple of others that I use daily. I got rid of all my audiobooks. I got rid of Facebook. I got rid of anything and everything that I could think of. And finally I had 4 Gigs of free space left. So if it didn’t work now, I didn’t know what I would do. But it worked! Yay!

So all my 7+ gigs of Whatsapp messages and 4 Gigs of SMS messages and baggage are coming with me to the new phone if and when it arrives (I just got home and it didn’t arrive today either).

I think mine was showing Dec 17th or something.