Android - what's in your pocket?

I love Pocket Casts. It’s free app is great enough, but it’s real awesomeness is paying a one-time fee to sync your podcats across multiple devices as well as listen in a browser.

That’s what I use and like - maybe due to a recommendation from you.

Thanks for the tip, just installed it and will give it a bash. A nice feature seems to be the auto-sync with a web interface, though I’m a bit irritated that they want another 10€ for that on top of the 4€ I already paid for the app itself.

It’s still a bargain. They have no recurring revenue. Once you’ve paid, that’s it. I paid for both app and web player years ago, and use both on a daily basis.

I like PlayerFM. I found its multi device syncing more reliable.

Yeah, I think the only app I use as much as Pocket Casts is Chrome.

I resemble this remark! I tried Player FM as well but just found Pocket Casts easier to use. But they’re both great apps.

Podcast Addict actually has more functionality (minus the web syncing), but my God that UI. I use Pocket Casts just so I don’t have to deal with that.

I don’t mind podcast addict, it’s my go to. The interface is pretty sucky but I’m used to it.

Used it for years. Believe I even paid for it at some point. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

Ditto except for finding the UI pretty sucky part. Playlists are easy to set up, and I only download what I want to download, unlike the incredibly hyped and functionally crippled Overcast (IOS, but you get the idea.). Never tried Pocket Casts but I’m actually somewhat locked into Addict now, after 4 years and all the playback stats.

My friend, have I got some good news for you.

I use Podcast Addict. The UI is indeed a bit of a mess, but I’m used to navigating the settings and I’ve been able to transfer my data/subs to new phones without issues, so I will stick with it for now.

All righty, let’s see them. This is Podcast Addict, for reference.

The only thing I really don’t like about PocketCasts is that you can’t search the episode descriptions, which makes finding specific old episodes a pain. This despite the devs touting it as a likely future feature for years. Does Podcast Addict let you do that?

Aye aye cap’n.

Guess it’s been a long time since I first listened to podcasts on Android using Doggcatcher.

I use BeyondPod for podcasts. I tried Pocket Casts, but its playlist doesn’t seem to offer as many features.

For example with BeyondPod, I can set it up to play the oldest unplayed episode from the History of Rome podcast, followed by a random unplayed episode from the “Humor” subgroup, followed by the oldest podcast in the “Gaming” subgroup, then the latest from the “News” subgroup, and then cycle back to the top. There doesn’t seem to be anything remotely comparable in Pocket Casts.

I think you can set up a playlist but probably nothing more complicated than that. It seems handy but I’ve never bothered to take advantage of it. I just manually select the next podcast I want to listen to once I’ve finished the previous one.

Yeah it has basic categories like downloaded, unplayed, video etc, but no real smart playlist feature. Which is a bit lame, but it’s not something I’d ever use except for searching anyway, so it could be addressed by a proper search function.