Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Aaaaaaaaagggggh!

(i.e., I did not know this and have made 2 perfect snowmen so far. And have not been playing everyday.)

So, the beachcombing for balloons thing works, but seemingly only up to a point. I’ve done it two days in a row and gotten three balloons each time in short order, but then they dry up. Going inside maybe resets it, I don’t know, I haven’t done much testing. I did manage to get the Festive Tree and Holiday Candle recipes so I could decorate the island before my girlfriend got home from work, which is nice. Also when the snowballs just bump into each other, it’s seemingly because there is not enough space for the snowboy to form, as the animation causes him to end up a bit to the right of where the base ball is initially.

This seems unlikely given the complaining about balloons, but if anyone has extras of the holiday recipes, my kid just discovered today that she should have been chasing balloons and doesn’t have any of the recipes yet.

Ugh, that sucks. I’m sorry to say I don’t have any duplicates. In fact, I’ve only found one more holiday recipe, the Illuminated Tree, so far. Yesterday I saw one balloon and it had iron in it. >.<

I’ve gotten five balloons today and found an automatic washer, a sand castle, 2x 5000 bells, and an oil barrel.

Yuck.

By the way don’t get surprised like I did that today is Toy Day! Log in!

Lol why the fuck would these morons make toy day the 24th???!? Assholes. I just saw your note and logged in. There is no way I’m going to be able to get jingles decorations to make the wrapping paper on my own island so I guess I get flying. I only have 3 pine trees on mine. And guess I gotta play for an hour before bed now.

Lol none of the islands you visit have shakeable light up trees so I’m screwed. First island I visited I got bit by a tarantula too. Humbug indeed!

Time travel backwards!!!

Do you not have a lot of pine trees?

Nope, I bulldozed my island flat

You can still plant them, I think. You’d have to time travel back a few days to get them to grow in time…

Yep. Will see how motivated I get, thanks!

I think you need to plant them and have them grown before whatever day it was that Isabelle added the ornaments to the trees; it seemed to be a be time thing, since we planted new ones after that day and they never got ornaments, even when fully grown.

@Kadath don’t remember if crafting ingredients are tradeable or not, but I’m glad to give you some ornaments as well!

Hmm, my girlfriend said she planted a tree and it grew with ornaments, but I personally cannot verify this.

One of the first two villagers that came to my island is Cherry. She’s still around and I’ve commented to kiddo that its sad that despite being one my favorite characters she’ll never fully decorate her home unless I kick her out and manage to find her again.

Kiddo apparently fully absorbed that information. One of my Christmas gifts was her amiibo card. (!!!)

So, a question, if anyone can answer. All my search results just talk about using the card to get her to appear at the camp. Can it be used to just upgrade/convert her to a version of herself that’ll decorate?

No, it will not. And further, if she leaves and then you use her Amiibo to get her back, she will be like a brand new Cherry that never knew you.

This is a problem I have with Skye. She is absolutely my number one favorite, but she was one of my first five, and therefore has the generic “normal” house. But I can’t bear the thought of letting her leave, because even if I found her again on a Nook Miles island, I hate that she’d forget we ever knew each other.

AFAIK, the only way to have a villager move out and then move back with memory intact is if that villager moves to an island of someone you know, and then moves back to your island from that person’s island (because they remember you when you visit a person who invited them to their island when they left yours). The problem with this is timing… it requires you to have a vacant plot on the very day that villager is in boxes to move. If you’re totally cool with time traveling to make that happen, it’s doable. I don’t do time traveling, but that my personal preference. Loads of people do it though.

All that said, if you don’t care that her memory of you gets wiped clean by having her leave, then just invite her back via Amiibo once she’s gone. Warning though: using an Amiibo to get a villager requires three separate visits to your campsite in total, so inviting her on the day you have a vacant plot will not result in her filling that plot. I used Amiibo cards I had to get both Ankha and Snake to my island.

Because I knew she’d have to leave eventually, I’ve avoided forging a friendship, so I should be emotionally ready for that :)

To clarify, she’ll have to visit the campsite on three separate days?

Correct. Each day she comes she’ll ask you to craft something for her as a “memory of her visit” but even though you ask her to move there, she won’t finally agree until the third time you invite her.

Wow, obtuse. I kinda like the generic houses. I just wish they were bigger.