Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Thanks for the kind offer! As noted I’m in mothball mode for AC right now but I was excited to take part in Toy day. I live for toys. To have this sabotaged in miltiple ways by Nintendo was pretty disheartening. Will see if I want to fix it by time travel when I get home from holiday travel, will let you know.

Well if it makes you feel any better there weren’t really any actual “toys” involved in Toy Day.

Whaaat? Really? That’s lame. I never got that far cause jingles gave me a task I couldn’t fulfil and all my residents said go talk to Jingles

I mean, there was quite a bit of gift exchanging centered on toys, including lots of color variations beyond what was available in my island’s shop

You never get to see what’s inside the gifts you distribute to residents, from what I recall, and you get three things back from them I believe, all things that had been for sale, although I think Armando is right about the coloration. At least my girlfriend got a yellow dollhouse when before we’d only seen purple. All in all it was cute but chill. Nothing essential, I would say.

Did you dress up as Santa?

So after you do the distribution, you can talk to your villagers again to do the personal exchanges. You’ll need to wrap toys you’ve bought from the store this month to give them. I think you can give non toy gifts, too? Dunno, didn’t try. But they’ll give you a bunch more presents at that point, on top of the thank you’s you receive for helping Jingle.

I didn’t give any of my villagers a single toy (other than Sterling I gave a grey dinosaur because it seemed to fit him, hehe), I just gave them furniture I wanted them to use in their houses or clothes I wanted them to wear. Every single one gave me back a toy (and yes, definitely different colors than what was for sale in Nook’s).

BTW, did everyone remember to hang up the toy day stockings Jingle gave you at the end? And did you remember to check it the next day? It had Jingle’s Photo in it! (If that’s the kind of thing you care about.)

I did do the stockings but I didn’t pass out any more stuff because…it didn’t occur to me. Oh well!

Maybe I’m obtuse, but besides making Toy Day on the 24th instead of the 25th, how did Nintendo sabotage this holiday for you??

Requiring pine trees that aren’t available on other islands if you have cleared them off your own for aesthetic reasons.

I don’t know how Nintendo is supposed to account for someone arbitrarily removing one element from the game. It would be like having a fishing tournament and then saying, “Well I decided to never buy a fishing pole so how am I supposed to participate in this tournament??”

Isabelle also announced weeks ago that ornaments would be appearing on trees and used for crafting, so there was plenty of warning in case you needed to plant trees.

How have y’all been doing building the snow people? I’ve gotten it down after some hitches, decided to keep them on the small size due to space constraints on my island after maximizing them at first. It’s nice getting all the new recipes they give out for perfect ones being made. You just have to ensure that you have some ground space to have the snowballs spawn and to roll them around, of course (which I didn’t, at first, so I had to clear out some items).

I’m winding down my daily play, though, no longer combing the island shaking trees for furniture, and otherwise just keeping it clean and talking to the villagers. My main goal right now is to get 7 remaining gold nuggets to finally build the robot.

And check for new seasonal items. They will vanish Dec 31.

I’ve had the best luck with snowmen by going large as I can with the base, and then just a smidge smaller when pushing together, but it seems awfully arbitrary sometimes.

@Editer I had a resident move out on New Year’s Eve day. With resident services closed I couldn’t get any nooks tickets to go invite someone new. Today I met my new resident, chosen by the animal crossing gods I guess - Klaus from Denlandia. Seems like a nice enough chap, a little gruff but friendly.

You have to make the bottom ball of the snowboy as big as possible, which is signaled by your person struggling to get it rolling. Then the second ball has to be a lot larger than I would consider “perfect,” but you can gauge it by your ears. I try to make it so the ball is right about as tall as the bottom of my ear, but I think as long as it’s within the ear range it will work.

Apparently snowboys can be any size, but the key to it being “perfect” is that the head has to be 90% the size of the body. So you theoretically can make a tiny, perfect snowboy, but being able to gauge that 90% is the tricky part.

I always do the largest one just because I’ve gotten used to it, though I can’t use the “ear” method because my character has long hair and I can’t see my ears, hehe. ;) That said, I’ve gotten pretty good at gauging the right size, and am currently at 14 perfect snowboys. I believe there are only 15 snowboy DIYs in total, so I’m not sure what will happen on number 16… that is, whether he’ll stop giving DIYs or just start giving dupes. And of course they’re still worth building if you want the large snowflakes, but I’m not honestly all that excited about most of the ice DIYs, unfortunately.

If you have all the recipes they just start handing out large snowflakes right away, not too exciting.

Since we have all the recipes and a huge stock of large snowflakes, I’m definitely gonna try making some tiny snowboys. I did not know it worked that way. I have been tempted to make one that’s, like, a giant body and the smallest possible head just to see if I can get him to say, “what have you done” or something, but I haven’t done it yet.

Yeah, I have such limited space that I stopped making the big snowboys and went with smaller versions. I had it down for a bit for any size but then went on a short spree of being ‘so close’ which was a tad annoying. I have more difficulty in making a perfect one in one area vs. another, which seems odd, but likely due to the objects around distorting my ability to judge the sizes properly.

It is amusing to hear what they say when you do it really wrong. I’ve had a few times when I’ve touched the body in passing and it jumped onto the head in progress instead, and I have to chuckle at their reactions.

That’s awesome! When they left the island and didn’t specifically go to a friend’s island directly, I assumed they were essentially lost in the bitstream forever. Had no idea they could end up on the island of someone who had visited!

Very cool, Klaus often had amusing responses, and I wasn’t anxious for him to go, but he volunteered and it had been a long time since I’d had a new resident.