Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Ahh thanks!

Lol sea bass recipes.

Oh shit. Remember that useless Nintendo phone app for Animal Crossing that gives daily points you can redeem for in-game pictures of Isabelle and the Nook twins? Well, there are some new items you can get for those points like toilet paper and a wall clock, but the app now includes an “Island Newspaper” section that features a Turnip Market price tracker!

I can check prices without having to login twice a day, hallelujah!

Is this in game, or an external app?

Will the DLC unlock at midnight tonight?

External phone app.

Can you link it perchance? or wait… is it a normal iphone app?

Get the Nintendo online app - there is an Animal Crossing page there which is sort of an ‘app within an app’.

Thank you! :)

Anyone try the expansion yet? I’ve been too busy to dig in yet.

PSA: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57043

We are aware of an error in the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game that will cause some gameplay issues when the specific sequence below is followed.

If you have downloaded the Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise DLC and unlocked the ability to remodel resident homes on your island by talking to Tom Nook at Resident Services, you may experience gameplay issues if you request to remodel a resident’s home while the gates at your airport are open.

The error does not occur in the following cases, so you will be able to play the game without issue:

• If the gates at the airport are open but you have not asked Tom Nook about remodeling a resident’s home.
  • If you ask Tom Nook about remodeling a resident’s home while the gates at the airport are closed.
    • Vacation homes in the Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise DLC can be remodeled without any issues.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Dipped my toe in to 2.0, didn’t hit the DLC stuff yet although I did get the formal invitation/licensure/wha6tever you want to call it. Didn’t look at ordnances yet.

Bought all the new things from the ABD terminal and store. No idea where to get starters/seeds/whatever for the new gardening. One of the new things you can get is a donation bin, where visitors can donate bells to you, 1k at a time.

Took a ride on Kappa’s boat (1 ticket).

Met Brewster. Brewster’s place is now being built, so museum will be closed tomorrow.

Visited Harv’s island. I think Redd’s spot at the new bazaar will also be under construction tomorrow (100,000 per vendor(!)).

I just read that there’s 9,000 new items added with this update. Even with multiple colorings for the same model, yow!

So far, I’m not all that impressed with the expansion stuff. The home design activity is very similar to the wedding event. You get an empty room to decorate and a catalog of furniture you can plunk down however you want. As long as you use the 3 items the tenant wants, you fulfill the objective. The game doesn’t seem to care how you lay stuff out or if any of it really looks good. They pay with a different kind of money that you can use only on the Paradise island. Meh. Unless the stuff gets more complicated later, there’s not much to it.

The 2.0 update stuff that is free to everyone seems to be where all the good stuff resides.

I played Happy Home Designer a bunch, and I’m surprised that this expansion feels like they imported the entirety of that game into New Horizons as DLC. It is that similar. I’m assuming that some of the vacant buildings on the main island will be unlocked later for the player to turn into shops, or schools, or businesses or what have you… because that was also a thing you did in Happy Home Designer. I have no evidence that this will be case of course, but given how similar the DLC is to HHD already, I feel like they’re on that track.

That said, I enjoyed HHD, but it definitely got old pretty quick. However, I think I can really get into it being part of NH rather than a separate game. A few things I’ve noticed already:

• Buying any of the items with “Poki” unlocks them in your catalog, where you can then order more of them on your home island with regular old bells
  • Building a vacation home for someone will then add their decor items to your “vacation building” catalog for future jobs, so it seems like it will be slow to grow the options for designing there. I had somehow thought maybe I could use anything I had in my home island catalog already, but apparently not. In retrospect though, again, this is how HHD did it.
  • I bought some of the “souvenir chocolates” and brought them back to my main island. Decided to gift them to Skye (my favorite), one thing lead to another and suddenly she’s on the vacation island and I’m designing a vacation home for her. I wasn’t expecting that just from giving her chocolates, and now I’m hoping that very soon I’ll be able to redesign her house on my island.

Anyway, it remains to be seen whether Happy Home Paradise will grow stale as quickly as HHD did, and what else there still is to discover. I’m pretty sure I haven’t touched on a fraction of the new content there yet (including some that they showed in the trailer).

I haven’t figured this out yet either, but I have a suspicion it is either from Leif (whose stall on Harv’s I’m currently building - it should be open tomorrow) or maybe from Kapp’n’s boat trips. I’ve only taken the one so far, but I’ll check in with Leif in the morning first.

I got sugarcane plants on the island Kapp’n took me to today. Leif had carrot starters. So now I have pumpkins, carrots, and sugar growing on my island.

I was on yesterday and Leif was in the square selling the starters. Bought some tomatoes and now wished I’d bought more, because he’s not there today.

Turns out this is indeed the answer. Wait for his weekly visit, or build his still @ Harv’s.

My wife has been all over the expansion and free content since release. With the original island wiped, I’m out of the game now, but she has two islands on the go. Focusing most on the new content within her already established second island, she is absolutely loving it.

Couple things I didn’t realize were a thing coming along:

• Vehicles (like full sized, not those mini ones)
  • Star fragments from rocks now

And wow, those gyroids are super fun. I told her that she should make an entire island that’s just covered with them, and a path so you can walk through the creepiness/cuteness. She declined.

I have no idea what’s new this update/DLC, versus what’s been added during the more than one year since I last played (excepting the Home Designer), all I know is that after two days of revisiting, it’s really easy to get sucked back into the old routine again… :D