Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

I’m pointedly not spoilerizing things in this thread cuz, you know, Animal Crossing, but I’m happy to change that policy if anyone requests.

@Vesper he’s the museum operator. You can tempt him to your island by showing enough wacky wildlife to Tom Nook in Resident Services.

Thanks for the tip. I had given Nook a couple of things and just been selling the rest.

Just opened the island to all visitors from my friends list. I’ll try to leave it open for most of the day so come get an orange or two if you need them. And leave a non orange if you do!

I can’t cross the river yet so if you can feel free to go nuts collecting whatever is over there.

I was really close to picking this up today. We’ve got two switches for our kids, and my wife and I will play on them from time-to-time as well. My wife has shown a lot of interest in playing this as well, but when I went to read about the shared island experience with multiple players, I’ve been really disappointed by what I’ve read.

From what the internet is telling me, the first issue is that it sounds like the progression is based on a primary player, and any other players on that Switch are gated by that first player’s progress. If I understand correctly, they also don’t get to experience anything the primary player does in terms of quests and such. It also sounds like if one player goes out and collects everything or does any of the daily activities, there’s not much for the other players to do.

I have never played the AC games, but if this is true, it sounds like the secondary players really get a subpar experience overall, and I’m a bit dismayed by it. I know for a fact that this won’t work for my kids, who will not be happy with one messing up the other’s stuff or getting to do things the other doesn’t. We could get one cartridge and use it on both Switches, but that still leaves my wife and I with the reduced game if the above is true. I’ve heard similar issues when playing the couch co-op mode, that one player basically gets to do way more than the others.

I’ve seen a lot of clamor over Nintendo’s decision on this, yet not really much here. So what’s the truth? Is AC going to be worth it for the players who didn’t found the island?

Collecting “everything” past the first day or two would take some serious effort not to be collaborative on the primary player’s part, and the NookMiles “quests” are individualized (though, admittedly, some of them are tied to resource acquisition and usage), so there’s definitely plenty of daily activities for secondary players to do.

That said, yeah, the “Island Representative” player or whatever it’s called is the one pushing forward the gradual development of the island, as far as I’m aware. That said, that’s mostly just a week of minor fetch quests to open up new shops and options; the new recipes and options they gain can be purchased on the cheap by the other players once they’re open.

I don’t love the one-island-per-console thing, at all. It’s inherently worse than any other option I could imagine. But it’s not crippling, for my particular use case, for what it’s worth.

edit: During multiplayer, there is a primary player who has access to their inventory. The others are kinda along for the ride. Depending on their age and patience, that could be good or bad, hah, but it’s easy to swap primary players if someone else wants to chop wood for awhile.

This is entertaining as heck. Visited @Mike_Cathcart (couldn’t find him), but borrowed 5 oranges from his island and left 10 pears as payment.

Blathers being scared of bugs is hilarious and I don’t know why. Going to have to troll other people for Apples and Peaches later.

I’ll try to crack open my island soon. Trying to wait till my partner wakes up so she can watch me play. But I should hopefully have both growing in abundance by the end of the weekend.

Got cherries and oranges growing (don’t know how long trees take to grow, I’m gonna guess a long time). I purposefully left pears on trees around the airport if people visit. It’s cool, I dunno why I think it’s so neat.

So early on I ate ten pears like a pig, and now I have the 10/10 apple/ pear/ fruit icon thing in the top left corner. It’s been pegged at 10, does anyone know what this signifies?

I think you can destroy rocks / dig up entire trees when you’re fruit-buffed.

Yep, if you’ve got the shovel (tree digging) or a strong axe (blowing up rocks), you are prepared to do some real He-Man shit. Unfortunately, the latter can be kinda bad – you get a big reward right away from the rock, but now have to wait for it to regenerate over a couple of days before you can use it again.

Thanks guys, I don’t have the axe yet, but I’ll try going He-Man on some trees.

Ok I have cherries and my island is called Sandbanks

Build a toilet and sit on it. For real.

Party on Cathcart’s island! There are 3 of us here.

Does anyone know if it’s fairly simple to switch languages back and forth or do you need to switch your system language?

It’s simple - there’s an option in there on the phone, I think.

Got a decent peach orchard going near my little house, and a few orange and a coconut saplings as well. I think I left a few coconuts on a grown tree I brought over, and I have one adult peach tree. Can’t seem to find folks here at the right time, so just traveling to deserted islands for now and leaving my gate open for visitors whenever I’m not traveling myself or sending mail.

Oh nuts, do you have to open your island for visitors somehow?

Found it, gate’s open. Some pears are still around. This is all I have to offer atm.

Umm yeah I screwed up and already got rid of those - I need to raid some islands for more varieties!

I just planted one of my own oranges for this quest.

Oh hey I screwed up here too, and have no rocks on my island! Did not realise. Thanks for the tip on the trees, I have a couple I want to move! :D

Yeah you want to give Nook/Blathers anything new you find, and sell the dupes.