Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Yeah, I’ve heard great things about that one. And it’s Studio Trigger, so easy to believe.

I’m just sore they have some GitS stuff, but it’s only apparently some newer movies. I’d totally watch SAC if it was there, but don’t feel like risking those.

Anyone have recommendations for Crunchyroll shows from the last year or two? I watched Re:Zero but otherwise not much from the last part of 2015 and all of 2016.

Erased!

But stop watching when the show ends and there’s still 3 episodes or so left, inexplicably. That’s what I did. I’m very happy with my decision. And still haunted by the show, and think about it all the time.

My bad, should have said I already watched Erased, too. For some reason I thought it was older than just last year!

Bob, remind us what kind of stuff you like/don’t like. Also, can it still be running, or you want something that’s finished?

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Give it a couple episodes before you give up. It seems like there’s nothing to it and it’s just human drama, but holy shit.

Edit: FYI, this is for bob. Make sure you don’t accidentally start with the second season which has the same name but starts with “Descending Stories” I guess. I linked the proper episode 1.

Finished is preferred, though go ahead if you have current stuff that I can drop onto a list for later.

It’s probably easiest to describe what I don’t like - over-the-top fan service, fighting scenes that are primarily two dudes screaming cheesy wrestling-style move names at one another, constant teenage embarrassment over sexual comments. Yeah, I know, I’ve described probably 90% of anime series, but I don’t mean that I can’t handle any of those…just that I don’t want shows that hammer on those things repeatedly.

It really helps if there’s some kind of big story to the series. I’ve enjoyed some slice-of-life stuff (Lucky Star comes to mind) but my favorites are shows like Noir or GITS:SAC where there’s some kind of big mystery happening and most episodes play into it.

Edit: Additional info - I’m watching Active Raid right now and liking it. Police in future Tokyo with mini-mecha suits. It’s not in the same league as GITS or Psycho-Pass in the future-police genre but I’m having fun with it.

slice of life: Barakamon, Flying Witch, Poco’s Udon World, Sakura Quest, sweetness & lightning, Tanaka-kun, Wakakozake
mystery: Beautiful Bones
comedy: Amagi Brilliant Park, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid, Ninja Girl, Sekko Boys, WWW.Wagnaria!
action / fantasy: Blood Blockade Battlefront, Bungo Stray Dogs, Noragami, Rokka, Thunderbolt Fantasy
drama: ACCA, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

EDIT (7/14): added Blood Blockade Battlefront

Silver Spoons is great slice of life about a farming school. Very enjoyable.

Noragami my 20 year old daughter loves this show.

Agree with Thunderbolt Fantasy it us a fun show to watch.

Barakamon is awesome!

It’s a bit teenage dudes shouting wrestling moves at each other, but My Hero Academia is a ton of fun.

Have you seen Steins;Gate?

Crunchyrolls: http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-hero-academia/episode-1-izuku-midoriya-origin-730707 and (Hulu) https://www.hulu.com/steinsgate

Active Raid reminded me of Patlabor, albeit nowhere near as good, IMO. And the Big Bad of the first season is just LOLWUT stupid. But it’s been a really long time since we got a light-hearted show about Crimefighting Mecha Cops, so I took what I could get. :)

Thanks for the ideas, folks! Should be plenty to keep me occupied for the rest of the month I’m subscribed for. I recognize two of the suggestions as things I’ve seen - Steins;gate and Beautiful Bones - and both were enjoyable. Bodes well for finding some gems in the other suggestions!

My Hero Academia, which @arrendek suggested is one of my favorites in a long, long time. It’s a shonen show through and through, but probably my favorite protagonist in a shonen show and lots of fun side characters. It just started a second season, but this series was specifically why I asked if still airing is ok.

Bungo Stray Dogs was also a great suggestion by @unbongwah. That one has had two seasons.

Mob Psycho 100 is fantastic. Has some of that fighting stuff you refer to, but we aren’t talking Dragon Ball Z

Currently watching Last Exile, which is a bit older show, but love it so far. Young protagonists, but strong story.

Romeo X Juliet is another older show I recently watched that was quite a bit of fun. Pretty cool spin on a classic tale.

Heroic Legend of Arslan was great fun. Again, not a current show.

Terror in Resonance is relatively recent. Short series. Music by Yoko Kanno. I thought this show did a better job at what Kiznaiver tried to do than Kiznaiver.

I loved Alderamin On the Sky. Keep hoping this will get another season.

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon was hilarious, but is a bit fanservicy. Keep hoping this will get another season as well.

That’s an awesome one there.

And here.

I watched the first 3-4 episodes: thought it showed some promise, but it didn’t quite click for me. Does the rest of the first season get any better?

FYI, the spinoff Sword Oratoria is available on Amazon’s Anime Strike.

Yup, we just picked up strike to watch Welcome to the Ballroom (the first episode of which was much more entertaining than I’d expected, TBH). Haven’t watched the Aiz Wallenstein spinoff yet, but will check it out.

We loved Alderamin from end to end. My guess is if it didn’t click for you in the first few eps, that probably won’t change. The pace does pick up a bit and things get more intense, iirc, but not in a majorly different way.

I’ve decided this will be first in the queue, since I had to choose something and music by Yoko is as good a reason as any! First episode certainly seems to be right up my alley, so good recommendation!

Seriously, when I read that I immediately added it to my queue.

Same here. And I don’t even know who Yoko Kanno is.

(I did it on the theory that his/her name was mentioned like I should know who he/she is).