Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

You mean “The Series”? It’s Meh, to Meh+. I classify in my “guilty pleasures” category where Heat Guy J and the new Bubblegum Crises live. Cute “villain of the week” stuff, but it’s pretty weak overall, and the ending goes nowhere that you didn’t expect it to in the 1st episode.

So is Ganktsuou out in the US yet?

Nope, there are only 8 eps fansubbed and available on AnimeSuki.

Another vote for Gankutsuou. I just finished episode 5 and I’m liking it a lot. I’d never heard of it until this thread but it’s a very striking series.

I’ve caught the ten episodes they have on animesuki.com and have been enjoying the run so far. It’s not groundbreaking anime in the least, yet still comes across as entertaining and worth the download.

If anything, there’s a number of things within it that I would normally avoid such as series for. However, all of the mecha-pet summoning, baka hentai references or fanservice that would normally turn me away is done in such an inoffensive manner that they almost don’t feel like they’re there.

Gankutsuou is the best new show of the season, definitely. Runner up being Genshiken, but you probably won’t like that one if you go clubbing every weekend.

Gankutsuou is Gainax?

Clarity arrives…

No, Gonzo.

Ah. That makes it more of a crapshoot. As long as the characters aren’t supahkhute, or “an all girl team of <fill in the blank>” I usually enjoy their stuff.

Elfen Lied!

Genshiken is really heartwarming. And I usually hate anime that would be described that way. I just love all the characters a lot.

And every new episode of Gankutsuou rockets my opinion of it up even further. It’s the most awesome thing that ever awesomed.

I noticed Anime-Kraze is doing 'em… guess I’ll check it out.

I mean, if Angie recommends it… :)

— Alan

I have a well-stocked specialty store nearby. You may have to physically
get up out there and look for one; some of them aren’t too big on that
web-thingamy. Besides, physical browsing is a pleasure the WWW-
generation should try more often :)

I’m working through Naruto at the moment. I enjoy it more than I
expected to, but the flashbacks to previous episodes are completely
unnecessary. Got all episodes so far (nearly 110!), and last watched 68.

In my queue, I have GitS:SAC, which I expect to be a bit up and down
in quality. I was more of a fan of the music than the original movie.
Last Exile is also one I need to make time to watch.

I slowly get through all the Ghibli stuff (minus a couple of girlie-movies),
and really enjoyed Mononoke Hime, Spirited Away, Laputa (“Castle in the
Sky” in non-Hispanic areas, I guess…) and a few others. Going to borrow
“My Neighbour Totoro” off a fellow film-junkie, and I have “My Neighbours
the Yamadas” in the Gosh-I-hope-I-have-some-time-off-soon-pile.

Silly me also got Witch Hunter Robin, which has a pretty good rating at
AnimeNfo, and I found torrents with an old French/Japanese series
called “Mysterious Cities of Gold”. Watched much of it as a kid, but never
saw the ending. Now it’s time :)

Oh, and let’s not forget Noir. Nicely drawn & nimated, great music, story
not aimed at kids. Should be available on DVD most places.

If you want weird & finished, Serial Experiments Lain isn’t all that many
episodes (13), and also readily available on DVD.

I finished Cowboy Bebop. I now understand the movie which I saw before the series. I loved it and I don’t even know why.

I watched the first 2 disks of Outlaw Star. It’s been slow going but it seems to be picking up. Still, I’m going to put this series on hold for a bit.

Finished watching Cosmo Warrior Zero. Of course, I’ve heard of Harlock, but I’ve never watched it nor anything else by Matsumoto. I enjoyed this series but many people on Netflix seems to think it was only okay. Is Star Blazers worth getting into even though it’s relatively old?

I’m on the last disk of Witch Hunter Robin which has been interesting and different.

Next up for me is the New Fist of the North Star.

I’ve been digging on Bleach lately. Pretty cool show. Kinda Naruto meets YuYu Hakusho meets GateKeepers. A society of supernatural samurai is on the cusp of fighting a congregation of supernatural monsters that feed on the human spirit, insert fairly standard comical bits and action scenes.

[Bleach @ AnimeSuki]

However, I’ve really been enjoying BECK. Its fairly realistic slice of life story. Its about a middle school kid finding a cause in rock and roll, his life changing with the chance meeting of a rock band considerably different to the pop artist he believed to be his favorite artist.

Only seen the first couple episodes, but is very cool.

[BECK @ AnimeSuki]

Two words:

Samurai

Champloo

Samurai Champloo is a bit overrated IMO. It’s stylish, well made, and I like it. But for me it lacks the heart of Bebop, at least so far.

Genshiken continues to please me greatly. Ep 9 (“The Existence and Nonexistence of Explanatory Duties Under Special Isolated Situations”) nearly killed me.

And Gankutusuou really does seem to get better with every episode.

More things I’m really enjoying:

Koi Kaze - reactions range from thinking it’s the most romantic thing ever, to total utter disgust. I’m somehwere in the middle, but I couldn’t stop watching. Um, I guess that’s enough warning…

Gakuen Alice - reminds me a bit of Kodomo no Omocha. Cute story about a hyper little girl and her (IMO) asperger-ish best friend. It had me at the first eyecatch.

School Rumble - a well made, over-the-top school comedy.

Maria-sama ga Miteru (aka The Virgin Mary Is Watching) - based on a popular series of novels for young girls (preteen). I’m a little embarrassed to admit I like it…

I’ll embarass you all the more by saying I like it too. And preteen? Are you sure it’s not teen?
I’m not too aware of the age levels of the two terms, however.

gokigenyou.

Well, I pretty sure teen means thirteen to nineteen inclusive, and preteen means under thirteen. :)
I’m definitely sure the story is set in high school.
I’m guessing (based on subject matter and treatment) that target audience skews younger than the characters (i.e. to something like JR high).

Is it just me or is most anime less and less ‘Adult’ and more ‘Kiddie’? How I yearn for the days of Ken and Ryo.

I don’t know if I’d say more “kiddie”, perhaps more “all ages.”

I blame the death of the OAV.