Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

It looks great and all, but what’s with the price? At least in AUS it is on steam for the equivalent of $65 USD.

While I wouldn’t fault you for waiting on a sale, if you know you enjoy these kinds of games, I’m guessing 1800 is going to knock it out of the park and is one of the rare ‘worth it’ games. Not that I won’t still probably wait for a sale myself :P

The price should be at the normal level for a full price game by a big publisher in your region. This is not an indie game.

Oh I understand that, I am not a steam forum user who complains to every developer that their game is only worth $5 at launch. I forgot that this game is published by Ubisoft. I haven’t bought a Ubisoft game for a very long time (at least at launch) so the huge price surprised me.

I think regional pricing should die in a fire so I just can’t buy this at launch, sadly.

EDIT: Oh, I can buy this for 53 USD at GMG, im back in.

That free beta is much appreciated because I’m almost certain I’ll be picking this up, but I am a little concerned about being able to run it…

My old machine should be able to run it. I mean I know it looks pretty but their spec requirement isn’t every high.

Is there a specific component you’re worried about?

I love the Anno games but the last few have had a “sameness” to them that has turned me off. I feel like I am playing the same game with a different set of graphics much the same way I feel about the Total War series. Same game, different day.

The historical setting appeals to me considerably more but that familiarity concerns me. I got a lot of enjoyable time out of 1404 but was much more limited in 2070 and returned 2205 because of the way they linked scenarios. Also I know there will be at least one or two DLC packs and even if I do not give it a lot of play time I will be tempted to buy those to see if they somehow change my mind about the product. Know Thyself. So The price of entry for me is not $53 at GMG but closer to $100. That changes my value evaluation considerably.

So I will choose to wait on this one. If the reviews are truly outstanding, I can get it with more confidence that I will get the enjoyment out of it. If it is not revolutionary and instead is a new coat of paint on the same formula I can pick it up in two years for 1/3rd the price.

I can definitely sink a ton of time into a refinement of the formula assuming the refinements are good and assuming they don’t also decide to pile on all the… weird meta-features it seems like they added in 2070? That game had a bunch of unnecessary features, right?

It is definitely an iteration on 1404. It still has the same core elements and feel as the other Anno games. They’ve tweaked things and added a number of new systems but the core production chain game is pretty much the same, just with some new things to worry about.

The way they do the covered building thing, by using the roads and then recalculating when you add another road is a lot better too. I am not sure what to call it but you can see the coverage areas based on the green on the road, and when one of my buildings was just short I added an intersection and viola, warehouse coverage! I like this road based stuff better than I think it was just circles before.

Also the way the notify you about whether or not a new building will diminish the output of another nearby building is great too.

Definitely agree. Much better.

Oh yes. What I am missing, but TBH I’m not sure that was in-game info in 1401, is the ratio of farms to mills to bakeries. In 1401 I knew exactly what to build for optimums, in 1800 that is more a process of watching the warehouse stocks rise and fall.

Really? I thought I read that the tooltips gave exact production numbers

It tells you how long it takes for the building to produce. So if say a farm takes 30 seconds and a mill takes 1 minute, then you want to have two mills per farm.

I am super stoked to play this game. I love city builders!

So for the quests, you don’t seem to get to know what you’re supposed to do until after you accept it which seems completely backwards.

That annoyed me too and I hope they fix it. The UI for quest stuff in general could use an additional pass. I mostly avoided them due to it.

Yeah a few quests in some big battle ship spawned next to my little ship an sank it. Since I had no idea it was a combat quest… it’s a problem.

I like Dawn’s way of doing it way better. Tell everyone there is this quest and what it is, first one to complete it gets it. No second guessing what the mission is.

Oooh, they brought MP back with this one? I must have forgotten that, or didn’t realize it. Now I’m looking forward to it even more!

Totally. And it functioned just fine in the betas. Private games, being able to start without the harbor built and just racing to the islands, AI in private games. We went out of sync once, it popped up a window and then did some sort of resyncing. We played a few times, for hours, and the desync only happened once.