Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

The 1800 New World is similar, but I found it a lot harder to manage because it’s another full-sized map, you have to switch between the maps, and ships take a LONG time to move between the two. Oh, and not all quests and messages seem to be visible from one when you’re viewing the other?

well…crap

I do love the sense of advancement of 1800, from pre-Napoleonic through the dawn of the 20th century. That was one thing none of the other Annos did; the tech felt the same level all the way through.

Any improvements to combat in 1800 over previous entries?

On the bright side, no honor points in this one. The New World colonies unlock new buildings the same way as your regular colonies do.

I haven’t tried combat, as I’m playing a sandbox game, so I can’t comment on that. On production chain breakdowns: my sense is that losing one thing in 1800 isn’t so catastrophic. Usually you need a bunch of items to satisfy basic needs (keeping population up) and bunch of luxury items to keep people happy (keeping cash up). So your empire doesn’t necessarily hinge on any one item, but on a group of items. At least in my experience.

That said, I agree that it’s stressful to keep up with New vs Old World doings. There’s so much going on at the same time that I find it sometimes feels like work, not play.

Yeah I had to walk away from 1404 when I not only needed separate populations for the Orient goods (and the additional layer of busywork that is laying down oasis), and not only production chains for the production chains, but EVEN MORE production chains for raw materials just to make Orient construction materials.

And maybe someone can answer this long time 1602 question for me: what the heck are talismans? It seems like something top level Aristocrats would need, and there’s raw materials lying around that I guess go into them (ivory, jade), but I never see any production buildings for them nor a need for them on Aristocrat houses.

At the end of the day, the whole point of an Anno game is to have ever more complicated and interdependent production chains. Fundamentally, that is the game.

Next weeks patch will fix many of the things!

https://www.anno-union.com/en/union-update-looking-at-our-next-game-update/

Thank goodness for the influence changes. That will thankfully open up the game for different play options.

I just wish it was easier to find animals for the zoo.

Start early and park a schooner at the lady that sells them. I check every 5 minutes or so and have 30+ different animals. When I buy one that schooner chugs it back home and then immediately goes back to park at her harbor again. Otherwise her shop changes too fast to get there when she has something valuable for sale.

Man I wish this update were available today!

WAIT A MINUTE.

Someone sells them? It’s the lady from the new world isn’t it? I never look at her warehouse goods. :( Dammit!

No it’s the lady in the old world LOL. There are 3 NPC’s. Two guys and one woman there. It’s her.

My sad looking zoo will be glorious this weekend.

I love building out my zoo. It was so frustrating never having enough influence so these patch changes will be so welcome.

Some good changes coming in that update. Influence points in the mid-game phase can be frustrating to come by.

I’ve mostly cracked this game’s nut now - at least playing on normal difficulty. I’m upgrading to Investors, just finished the first phase of the World Fair, am overflowing with pretty much every commodity, and don’t even need military units any more as I’ve managed to maintain peace with every AI, including the two pirates (get a peace treaty with them, and then toss them some cash when they threaten to declare war). I’ve also bought 100% of the shares in one of my competitors’ main islands, and each share there is now worth around $700k, which gives me a massive cash flow.

The big thing I realized, is how important it is to analyze what resources and fertility your starting island has right away, and then immediately work towards planting your flag in 1-2 more islands that have the other resources your starting island is missing - even if it’s just building the harbour, and then doing nothing with it for several hours. The AI will leave them alone, and it’s so much easier than trying to take islands by force.

I also didn’t bother with the New World (or even the expedition to find it), until I absolutely had to. I instead of focused on seriously beefing up my Old World production lines, until I could just leave everything largely alone there, and focus on building up the New World for several hours - not juggling back and forth constantly. Then I did the same thing - established starting island, and immediately planted my flag in another island that had the stuff it was missing.

The New World commodities I absolutely needed to move, I set up charters for, so I could just forget about maintaining them and hearing “your ship is under attack!” every three minutes. I now have regular trade routes for everything.

Oh, and don’t bother with alliances (again, at least on Normal). They have little upside, and are basically only good for dragging you into someone else’s conflict. I’ve got trade rights with everyone, and have actively refused alliance requests a half dozen times by now.

I tried getting Pirates to peace and couldn’t. How long did it take? Didn’t they keep attacking you every time non-aggression pact expired?

Do whatever you can to earn diplomatic points with them until you’ve got a non-zero chance of a peace treaty, then try for a peace treaty until you get offered one (usually they want a bunch of gold too). At that point, they’ll occasionally threaten to declare war on you unless you pay them off, but it’s more than worth the expense not to have to deal with having trade ships attacked every 45 seconds.

In my case, I think in the early game I had a series of non-aggression pacts with them - immediately re-upping every time they expired - which eventually earned me enough points with them for a peace treaty.

What kinds of things do they offer for trade?

You need trade rights for that, which I don’t have with either of them. I just took them out of the “War” category, and put them in the “Peace” category, to keep them from attacking my trade routes.

My guess is they probably would just sell the kinds of pirate treasure you get from the expeditions.