Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

You completed Champion of Tarsis? There’s another one that requires 5,000 per faction, but Champion is 50,000 per. I’ve played a lot of Anthem, and I’m maybe 15% done with it. It awards all MW Component blueprints and gold metal (as opposed to brass, which looks gold, but is unlocked much earlier).

I’m blown away if you have finished that.

Oooh that one. I’m one third of the way through the slog. That’s insane. It’s an unreasonable grind by a factor of 5 at least.

I’ve got a very simple Colossus build going that works quite well in GM2 without needing legendaries or all that much in the way of special equipment. I hesitate to even call it a build, so much as an approach. Thought I’d share in case others want to try.

The basic idea is to stack combo damage. In Gm1, I ran around bashing things with my shield. That doesn’t work in gm2, so this was a new approach.

Required gear/components:

• Solvent Green (masterwork acid spitter): this is here for the 200% combo perk. It isn’t that great an ability otherwise.

• Catalytic Overdrive (masterwork combo augment component)

• Epic combo augment component (these each give 50% combo damage)

• Demolition Tribute (masterwork component that restores 20% armor on melee kill. This is your primary means of sustain)

How it works: prime enemies and melee to detonate. Kills with the combo explosion proc demolition tribute

Suggested Items:

• Voltaic Dome (masterwork shock Coil…the primer, not the detonator) I don’t think this is necessarily required, but it will certainly make your life easier. This primes enemies in melee range and also freezes them, so they aren’t hurting you while you finish them off.

Weapons: you can use anything you like, but you want something that can deal some solid damage at range when you need to have that option. An autocannon is great for bosses and other major enemies, especially when solitary and you’d rather have a Ranger detonating. I also like having a weapon like Ralner’s Blaze (Fire) or Sentinel’s Vengeance (acid) that can prime enemies at range, personally.

Inscriptions to keep an eye out for include shield max, armor max, general javelin damage. Blast damage and combo damage (not impact combo) should also be decent.

I’m curious if there’s something to this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/b2ixlz/drop_quality_is_linked_to_group_average_item_level/

I was always joking with my friend (he’s much further behind me in the game) that I won’t play with him anymore because every time I do, I get absolute garbage throughout the run.

I wouldn’t think Bioware would do something this dumb in a random matchmaking game that doesn’t have gear gating, but they’ve proven me wrong in the past so… who knows? Could easily just be RNG being RNG.

Even assuming they avoided picking up blues and purples, that’s nuts.

This wouldn’t surprise me with the bad math underlying the whole system each we see more of behind the curtain.

I am going to say that is superweird if they really doing that, considering loot is instanced and theres no reason to do that. If you play with low level guys, the mission will be longer and harder, no reason to add worse to the list just to… further agravate players?

It’s probably not intentional. All their fundamental screw-ups so far haven’t been intentional design choices…maybe AFAIK?

Explains a trend I noticed playing with family members, and in Freeplay.

How many beers can you hold? :)

Seriously, I think we’re eventually going to find out that their loot algorithm is as badly conceived as the rest of the stats. I spent most of yesterday running GM2 content yesterday with luck 1 pip from maxxed (total 189 – do you know how many support items I had to craft to get that perfect number?). Nothing but purples and blues, on a javelin at 700+ power.

I’m at a loss as to why I keep logging in to this game, testing different theories about what drives loot.

Everything about the design is amateur hour breaking already solved MMO and loot shooter problems.

I have reached the same conclusion. It’s as if none of these guys play other, similar games.

It’s legitimately impressive how much time and effort you guys are willing to sink into a game you don’t appear to be enjoying.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/npd-anthem-was-biowares-second-best-launch-ever/amp/

This sales success is in contrast with Anthem’s critical and fan reception. The PC version has an average review score of 60 on Metacritic. Anthem launched in a rough shape, full of performance issues and bugs.

BioWare’s best launch still belongs to Mass Effect 3, which came out in 2012. However, Anthem is at a disadvantage because The NPD Group’s tracking does not include people who are playing Anthem by subscribing to EA Access Premier.

I know I play through Premier and I doubt I’m the only one. Hopefully this gives the game legs, because I love the core gameplay.

Shit, that sales info is promising news. I was afraid it was DOA and we’d never get to see the potential of this game fulfilled. We still may not, but I’m hopeful. If massive can do it with the division, I think bioware can do it with Anthem.

The result from that sale info is that:

1. Make the minimum viable product.
  2. Profit

There’s too little loot, bad loot mechanics and no endgame to bode well for the long tail of sales though.

New patch 1.0.4 incoming, hopefully next week:

Multiple FOV sliders for PC
DLSS support for RTX cards
Can now access forge from anywhere in fort with no load screen by pressing esc (or equivalent for console)
Elysian Caches with crafting materials and cosmetics after boss kills in strongholds
Improved chest loot in strongholds on GM1+
Stronghold Bosses can now roll legendaries (they mention this is “uncapped”. Sounds as if rolling a masterwork or legendary will trigger a new roll)
Queue will not place you in stronghold run that has been live for more than 2 minutes
Disappearing stronghold icons fixed
Decrease performance hit from UI and weather
Legendary Missions part 1 (6 initially, one randomly available per day; repeatable)
Improved salvaging speed in vault
Most stronghold fog walls removed
No matchmaking into quickplay after session active 15 minutes (I asked for 5…this is too long, imo, but they are putting it in at least)
Fix for being unable to interact/Rez objects
20% increase to thruster capacity and 20% decrease to overheat length
Press and hold to melee w interceptor (not the ultimate initially, will listen to feedback)
New universal components for each weapon type (acid slugs for shotguns applies acid if hitting with 7+ Pellets).
Icons for freeplay events more consistent and should remain if have to respawn
Multiple fixes for “health bug”
Bunches of buffs/tweaks to various components and abilities

Now just get rid of the fort.

That’s only in there because all you people tolerated that static hub nonsense in the Mass Effect games!

-Tom