Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Heart of Rage annoys me because the Monitor has those one-shot kills, like the first time you encounter him there are those blooming fire pools (I don’t know what they’re called) that will kill you if you’re in their circle when they explode, even if you’re in a Storm and hovering! That one still gets me if I’m not paying attention.

Those I remembered from the quest. I tend to destroy 1-2 of those mines each time, and they wouldn’t get me during the fight.

But he does them one last time, at the end of the phase on the stronghold version, and I found out that one would. So I did repeat that phase twice to learn to chase him very fast. Meh.

Loot is still garbage.

You have to shoot the thing in the middle for those fire pools (tho I think you probably know that)

You know, I knew that and then at some point I think I decided it was easier to watch the first ones to pop and then hop over there after it does. Probably when I first started doing GM1 and my damage output was crap.

Looks like I was partially right!

The livestream was a gong show predictably. There’s no reason that couldn’t have been released last week in text form or prerecorded. Never seen a CM show contempt for their community openly like that before.

Yikes, that stream did not go over well.

Bummer. I hope it doesn’t take too long for the cataclysm to hit:

Features delayed:

Mastery System
Guilds
Legendary Missions – Phase II
Weekly Stronghold Challenge
Leaderboards
Some Freeplay Events
Cataclysm

We want to make sure everything we add to the game has a purpose and fits with our long term goals. When we have information to share on the items above, we will do so.

Cataclysm
The Cataclysm is an important addition to the game and it’s currently a big focus for the team. The Cataclysm will bring new challenges and rewards and pushes the story of Anthem forward. As our work continues, we will share more with you in May.

I don’t know if EA has the stones to see this through. I hope so, but I’m worried we’re staring down the barrel of another Andromeda.

I love the gameplay, so I’m really hoping they turn things around. That stream was just… not encouraging.

Guild/communications tools aren’t a priority? Jeez. They’re tone deaf. The live stream was a fucking embarrassment.

I liked where they get a little annoyed people watching the stream were asking about loot instead of the “level design” of the new stronghold. Well no kidding, buddy, none of that really matters if the fundamental problems that are strangling the game remain A) unresolved and B) no communication from BioWare on what they’re doing to address it, if anything.

No one cares about a new stronghold if the same problems that caused them to stop playing still exist. This whole company needs a shakeup from top to bottom.

They changed the rankings a little bit for javelins too - yesterday my 662 Ranger was a masterwork javelin, today it’s a legendary.

Maybe other games have it but this is something that came out of the Mass Effect series. You could use your bionic powers to create combos that were more powerful than the separate powers themselves.

Ranger combos do big single-target damage. They are generally the most effective against major solo targets. If there are minions next to the boss, better to let a colossus detonate first.

An article that does a deep dive on the Frostbite Engine and the problems it has posed for different studios.

Electronic Arts as a whole could eventually get to the place management wants, a robust engine that can be shared across all developers. But for fans, it can be hard to look at the company’s most recent and upcoming exciting games, Apex Legends and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and notice neither is developed in Frostbite.

Hmm. Things I noticed this patch:

Monitor health bar in Heart of Rage has fewer increments but is same length
New text on tethering warning dialog
Consumables still disappear after loading into FreePlay and getting an immediate “server has shutdown”
Loot automatically ordered by rarity now
New quippy voice dialog
Inventory now takes up more/less who can tell?
Starter level 1 weapons reverted to taking up inventory space again
Ultimate meter display still broken
Pilot load error still happens
Armour display error still happens
Salvaging time reverted to slower
Post expedition summary still broken
95% loading error still happens
2 new loading screen artworks
Item and component numeric values bugged
Legendary threshold for great score adjusted down
Going to another mission selection screen after just finishing results in the stronghold you just did not being selectable

WTF BioWare have you even heard of version control?

LOOK REI WE DON’T WANT TO BE LIKE DESTINY, WE WANT TO FIGURE THIS OUT OURSELVES OKAY???

He said the word! He said the word!

No memes!

I thought this way for a while but I am finding Temple of Scar has no enemies that can 1-shot your shields like the valkyries/brutes. Plus no stop-and-wait area like for the grounder.