Anyone else playing Demon's Souls?

They probably needed to re-record with multiple microphones for the binaural audio to work.

I’ll probably just watch a Let’s Play of this, as I have sunk more hours into the original than I care to count and am in no rush to buy a PS5.

God I want to play this so badly but have no interest in fighting the masses to get a ps5. Hopefully it won’t be hard to find after the holiday season.

Want to hear a classic Demon’s Souls story?

I booted up the remake last night on my new PS5. Made my character, and dove into 1:1. I played the original and remember the level really well so I made it through, opened all the shortcuts, got all the hidden items you can and beat the first boss without dying.

So I warp back to the nexus. The Maiden in black tells you to go speak to the Monumental. I run up stairs and get his back story and unlock all the Arch stones. All I need to do is get back downstairs and spend my souls levelling up. And hey, there’s a shortcut to jump down to the level just below to shave a few seconds off my trip.

Unfortunately, I biff the fall somehow, and instead of landing on the floor below, I slip off the edge and end up on a tiny ledge with no way back up, and no way to safely descend. Well, no harm, I don’t actually want to be alive and get invaded when I head back into the next level and jumping to your death in the Nexus is a common tactic, so I walk off the ledge and fall to my death.

Of course, now I don’t have my souls. So I run back upstairs and go looking for my bloodstain. Usually it saves from a few seconds before your death, but in this case I find it on that same stupid ledge. I can’t recover it from the safety of the actual floor above. And if I hop down onto the ledge to grab them, I’ll just be stuck again.

So that’s how I lost 5500 souls before even getting the chance to level up a single time.

glad the ps5 is sold out, otherwise I would run out and buy one just to play DS. Watching Christopher Odd playing it with setting the HUD to dynamic, so if you don’t fight it isn’t even there… and it looks beautiful. I think I should not spoil the experience by watching streamers …

Use a warp stone.

Only one available at that point makes you lose all your souls anyway.

I think I know the ledge you’re talking about. Except I lost 60,000 souls there.

So, new PS5. Playing Ghost of Tsushima right now. I’ve heard how hard the Souls games are. I’m tempted by the PS5 version of Demon’s Souls. Is this a game I can just jump in and learn as I go, or do I need to do a lot of reading ahead of time to avoid throwing my controller at the wall in frustration and quitting?

It’s a mix of the two. It was the very first Souls games, so you really can just jump in and learn as you go. However, the game is pretty poor about explaining certain systems like its equipment. You can certainly figure it out yourself, but I don’t recommend it. I would play for a while, and then for the equipment, I would go to the wiki and see what equipment is in the game, and what I’ve managed to get in my inventory so far, and how it compares.

And there will certainly be really frustrating moments as well. Like when you find a really strong enemy. But you’ll figure it out. You just need patience and time, and a willingness to learn.

Yeah, as Rock8man says, it’s all about patience and time. The concept is pretty simple - you methodically fight your way through each level, and you get currency to upgrade your character from killing enemies; if they kill you, you go back to the start of the level and lose that currency. You get one chance to go back and pick up your dropped currency. So if you make your peace with the fact that it’s only currency, and there’s plenty more of it, you shouldn’t get too frustrated (looks round guiltily).

If you like a bit of fantasy gameplay with good characters and an involved plot, you might like it. The big thing is again, if you die in a level, you have to restart that level. As mentioned, it’s very methodical - you engage enemies one by one, if you take risks and go in flailing, or charge into a crowd, you will die and get sent back to the start. So it’s punishing in the sense that your mistakes are punished.

You don’t need to know anything going in. The best place to get info is from the forum, as everybody loves answering Demon’s Souls questions because they’d love to be playing it again for the first time. So when you meet the Red-Eyed Knight, you ask here and we tell you to avoid him for the time being.

Apart from that, it is primarily sword-and-board fighting, with other character types available, and each level ends with a boss battle, almost all of whom can be cheesed in some way. However you will undoubtedly get frustrated at all the above until you figure it out for yourself and make peace with it.

Also go in with the knowledge that ANY enemy can and will kill you. Even the lowliest skeleton will wreck you if you don’t respect it. But you’ll quickly learn each enemy’s moves and be slaughtering them soon enough.

Actually, as someone who tries to avoid melee as much as possible in every game, I’ve started to enjoy the sword play and switching stances on the fly in Ghost of Tsushima (and pushing the triangle really hard and fast hoping it triggers some special attack I can’t remember.)

But for some reason, the concept of a game where I expect to die, and have to do trial and error to learn approaches that work, in a game that is very well designed and will reward my efforts, and with what appears to be an amazing atmosphere, appeals to me. I look at some of the videos of the Really Big Bad guys and think, holy crap, that makes me want to find a hole and hide, as well as think attacking that with a sword is like being 5 years old and trying to kill a huge grizzly bear with a plastic ruler. But I can also see the satisfaction that would come when you finally DO kill it.

OK - I may wait until I finish Ghost, but Demons Souls may be my first PS5 designed game.

Do it and chronicle your journey here!

The most important thing is to set your expectations correctly. You will be frustrated and challenged, but rest assured you’re making progress in terms of how to play even if it doesn’t feel like it, as you’d expect from a modern streamlined game.

Demon’s Souls certainly has its flaws too, so try to be patient with it.

It has the best combat system in any fantasy style “RPG”. Just lock onto an enemy (explained at the game start, read the messages on the ground). If he wants to hit you, just block. And hit back. The amazing thing about the souls games is how the world builds tension the farther you push forward. And it is pretty open at times. And there is an easy mode if you summon people to coop with you. I would look up how online functionality works, because that’s a bit too hidden.

With the original game, I never even knew that you play coop with random people. When I came back acouple of years later, it was too late. Everybody moved on to Dark Souls.

Oooo, so it seems they’ve added a new mysterious door! (☉_☉)

I suppose there’s some kind of super secret related to it, like they did for Shadow of the Colossus. Honestly, watching the community figure it out was the best part of the entire remake.

I’m probably the only person in the world disappointed that they got rid of those gorgeous loading screens. I hope they at least put them in a menu somewhere under extras or something.

So second post in this thread back in 09, I actually imported the original Japanese edition? According to my trophies though I never beat anything after Phalanx?!? I can’t remember, been so long. So I ordered this and have been making good progress. Started with a Royal but I don’t really like casting so I switched to a temple knight and have taking down a couple of bosses now.

The level design and exploration is just unmatched - this really is a master piece. Very much enjoying my play through so far. I still don’t really like boss fights - the whole run up to them then trial and error is not something I enjoy, but it’s worth powering through it for now just to be able to explore the world.