Anyone else playing Demon's Souls?

So is the correct order to get past the Tower Knight first, then try my hand at the red-eyed knight that all the messages on the ground warn me about? Or vice versa?

This is early on, in the Boletarian Palace.

The red-eyed knight can definitely wait for much later, though there’s no real harm in dying a few times to get a sense of it, and if you’re particularly skilled at the combat you can beat it when you first get there. I’d say to tackle Tower Knight and some of the other archstones first.

Definitely this. Wait on the red Knight til you’ve expanded past the Tower Knight.

You can wait on the Tower Knight too and just try the other levels.

I took care of the Tower Knight last night, and then tried my luck with the red-eyed knight, only to be smoked when I nearly thought I had him. I think I’ll try another archstone :)

Dark Souls is one of my most favorite games and gaming experiences ever. I never felt the same with DS2, DS3, or Bloodborne, even though I like them in their own way. I don’t know what it is with Demon Souls, but it feels the most like DS1 one to me (and that could very well just be me). I’m loving it.

I’ve been having a really hard time with the bosses in this game. I love learning the levels and exploring but several of the bosses so far have seemed kind of bullshit. I’ve been trying to avoid cheesing them to death with ranged attacks but I’m starting to hit a wall and my patience is wearing thin. Is it just me or are the boss battles pretty rough in this game? I’m thinking about 2-1 and 4-1 specifically out of the ones I’ve fought.

They’re a bit more puzzle oriented. 4-1 isn’t so bad once you figure it out. 2-1 I always range fight never got the hang of doing that one melee.

They have names! Armor Spider I think I did melee. The boss that comes after is the real tooth grinder, although neither is as bad as the one later in the Tower, let alone the last guy. Ugh. The bosses in general are a lot more puzzley than in later From outings, I agree.

I enjoyed the Tower Knight fight because I figured out the puzzle before it got too too tedious. 10 tries maybe?

it’s his head

I have given up on the red eye knight after just two tries.

You were right 4-1 boss was actually pretty easy. I went back and killed it in my first try…

The spider demon isn’t too tough to melee. The hardest part is avoiding her web attacks. If you do get hit with that then you will want to take a fireball to the face to burn it off. Once you get close wait for the full slam down attack then get in there and go to town.

Somehow I got the Spider on my first attempt. Solo.

…And then promptly died a few minutes later at the hands of an axe wielding dude.

Maybe because Dark Souls is sort of like a spiritual remake of Demon’s Souls minus the archstones/hub design, and came immediately afterwards.

Maybe so. I might just like their early design better.

It didn’t seem like Dark Souls 2 was that far after, but clearly the Demon Souls design is mirrored closely by Dark Souls (1)

They had fresh ideas, and it helps that Demon’s Souls levels are still very good.

Demon’s Souls 2 was lead by a different team. (The B team) And they definately cheated with the area/world design. Always tunnels to new areas that are radically different from the area before. An elevator on the top of a windmill that goes up into a lava fortress, etc. Lots of very mediocre bosses. It’s generally too long with incoherent storytelling.

Same guy, Hidetaka Miyazaki, designed Demons Souls and Dark Souls (and his team). Then they went on to make Bloodborne and a different team and different director/designer did DS2.

DS and DS1 are perfect games to me… I replay them every few years or so. One of the few games, where I do multiplayer, helping others with bosses and summoning others to help me.

Looking back and thinking critically, the Dark Souls 2 team should have went the Demon’s Souls route with a certral hub and warp stones to specific areas…rather than how they stitched together the areas with empty tunnels or impossible elevators.

I think it might actually have been better recieved in that regard.

also the moment to moment combat felt really different. Also the sounds were changed. Where Demons Souls and Dark Souls felt pretty much the same regarding combat. DS2 felt slower and heavier… I like some parts of DS2, but some other stuff didn’t look great. I never finished it, it is huge and I got lost.

And DS2 looked really ugly at some parts, mainly the foggy woods. DS1 looked better and more consistent overall.

Yes, to all this. newbrof and me are Sympatico when it comes to the Souls games.

I really should go back and finish Dark Souls 3 one of these days. It’s tough to go back alone. I need moral support from Qt3 while I do it.

I’m looking forward to Demon’s Souls when I finally get a PS5 Pro, but I’m in no hurry. Not while I’ve still got Dark Souls 3 on my plate, as well as The Surge, The Surge 2, Remnant: From the Ashes, and possibly the Nioh games.

OK, I got Demon’s Souls (my first of these games) for my PS5 when I first got my PS5 and played some and got killed a lot and had no idea what I was doing and how things worked etc. so I left it when Ghost of Tsushima came out, now I’m doing a replay of RDR2, and have never felt the pull to go back in. Until I read threads like this about how amazing it is. I think before I try it again I need to find some tutorials on the basics like how armor works etc.