Anyone Have Nerdy/Video Game Tattoos?

You guys sure are taking this seriously. Would it help if I replaced the word ‘offensive’ with ‘eye-roll inducing’? I don’t really care enough to continue arguing the point; suffice it to say that tattoo bros (be they artists or patrons) call their tattoos a whole smattering of hilarious terms.

Well, words mean things so it probably would. That’s less judgmental so good job.

I don’t really care enough to continue arguing the point; suffice it to say that tattoo bros (be they artists or patrons) call their tattoos a whole smattering of hilarious terms.

So you’re specifically lashing out at college guys who get tattoos or … what? I wasn’t aware of this tattoo elite who look down on the unwashed masses who also enjoy tattoos but call them terribly inappropriate things.

You brought it up, frank. I don’t think anyone honestly gives much of a shit, they just think it’s silly that anyone would be offended by “art” or “ink” or any other terms that are apparently hilarious. I do think saying “tats” is douchey, though.

Frank, you’re reaching Zylonesque levels of trolling. If you don’t like tattoos or the people who have them or whatever, then don’t bother posting. This thread isn’t for you.

Seriously?

I would say that 90% of the time I have ever heard anyone say anything but ‘tattoo’, it’s someone who doesn’t have any (or has only the tiniest of regrettable ‘tats’ on their body) who is trying desperately to sound like someone who knows what they’re talking about. The other 10% is split between ironic usage and people who just don’t give a shit.

Hah, well I guess we all have different standards about what constitutes douchey slang then, huh? I dare you to try and say ‘ink’ or ‘art’ with a straight face though.

Wait, what?

You read me. You’re being nothing but negative and adding absolutely nothing to the conversation except maybe an unexpected level of doucheyness. Get. Out.

I dare you to try and say ‘ink’ or ‘art’ with a straight face though.

Because tattoos aren’t done with ink and they aren’t considered art? What the fuck, man?

Uh huh, I’ll get right on that.

There is a strong tendency among people who want to appear like they know what the fuck they’re talking about to use slang terminology. This often gives people who do know what the fuck they’re talking about a chance to snicker behind their backs. I’m sorry for snickering in front!

Tattoos are definitely considered art, and they are definitely done with ink. If you want to use ‘ink’ or ‘art’ as a 1-1 substitute for the word ‘tattoo’ though, it’s going to make you sound stupid.

Brian, I may be asking for my nerd card to be revoked, but I looked into your symbol and don’t find the tie to it and TIE Fighters anyway. TIE Pilots wore the standard Imperial crest linked earlier, which is also pretty much the same symbol used specifically by the Imperial Navy. Your symbol is pretty close to the symbol of the Secret Order of the Emperor, especially since you mentioned it in purple. (Fun fact: the qcode I linked to earlier links to the SOE page when scanned.) but I see nothing to link it to TIE fighters at all.

Anyway, you should just get the Mandalorian death head. It’s awesome and would make you look like a dude ready to fuck people up.

I’m unclear as to how using the word “tattoo” instead of a slang term means one “knows what the fuck they’re talking about”. Can you explain or elaborate? It just sounds like a group of people finding some little meaningless thing to latch onto to feel superior to others.

“OMG, he called his tattoo ‘ink’! What a poser!”

Like that?

Sure, if you want to imagine it that way. I never said that use of the word ‘tattoo’ means that you know what you’re talking about, just that needless substitution of slang terms makes you sound like you don’t.

Never mind. I’ll just give up on ever getting an explanation, thanks!

That’s exactly what the tattoo was supposed to be, as that was one of my favorite parts of TIE Fighter. It ties more to the game of TIE Fighter rather than the actual TIE Fighters themselves.

Indeed. Congrats, Frank, you’re the second person I’ve ever added to my ignore list in my eight years here. Well done.

Ah, there’s my problem. Never actually played TIE Fighter. I did read the comics, though.

Warren it’s like calling a black person a you-know-what. Only you-know-whats can call each other you-know-whats, you know?

This is a shockingly good explanation.

… brother.

Ahhhh, well if you have ANY interest in space combat, I’d highly recommend it. AMAZING game, even 17 years later.