Anyone up for more Matrix movies?

I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.

That’s me. The one person in all the world who didn’t like the movie series, I guess. But apparently this movie is your special baby? I guess you agree that the other two sucked, though?

I agree with MSUSteve about the Matrix, although I reserve the right to still think he has terrible taste in his CW actor crushes.

I liked it better when it was a book. And called Neuromancer.

D’oh, debunked?

[UPDATE: The Senior Administrator for the London International School of Performing Arts informed me that Keanu Reeves made no appearance there. DEBUNKED]

“And further stated that Mr Reeves is not in fact invited to make an appearance, as no one at the school classifies what his does as a ‘performing art’.”

I wanna see that Wachowski script for a futuristic Robin Hood starring Will Smith though!

Occam’s Razor dicates that the sequels ARE different from the original movie, and you’re just refusing to acknowledge the mountains of reasons posted online for why most people don’t like them.

The best guess I can come up with – and it’s not a very charitable one – is that the first movie engaged you at an entirely superficial chop-socky level, so the awful nonsensical plotting and worldbuilding of the sequels simply didn’t register with you.

With any luck, they’ll realize they actually had Inception beat until they mucked it up. The second Neo exhibits any reality bending powers “outside the Matrix”, the logical way to go is further down the rabbit hole. They already explained that the world was made imperfect because the human mind kept rejecting perfection. However, even with imperfection, they still have people who reject it, somehow knowing that what they are experiencing isn’t real. The world of hovercrafts and Zion and rebelion should have been another layer of the Matrix. A Matrix inside a Matrix inside a Matrix, for however many levels the story teller wants. People who “wake up” find a world where aliens/machines are using human bodies for power, but if you could “wake up” from that, you’d discover that it’s people in long term stasis travelling between stars… “wake up” from that and you find out that it’s a program to help direct dreams and maintain sanity in patients who are in comas… and so on…

Mostly agreed, except there’s no reason to nest them. When someone wakes up from one Matrix, you just route them to a different, parallel one.

God no, I didn’t even think the first film was anything special.

The only thing that could’ve made the Matrix better is the presence of Jensen Ackles.

Yeah man, that’s cool that you don’t like the Matrix movies. I’m fine with making up my own mind. You essentially saying I’m too stupid to know better really has no effect on my appreciation of the movies.

I’m a little bummed that this whole thing about sequels was a bizarre hoax.

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

None of what you complain about shows itself in the first ten minutes, so I still find your earlier claim suspect at best.

I note you don’t mention the intricate plotting or arresting dialogue. I can turn my brain off and like a big, dumb, loud movie as much as anyone, but Reloaded and especially Revolutions were so aggressively stupid in so many places I just couldn’t do it. Reloaded was at least just disappointing. Revolutions was insulting.

I think a lot of people just go with the Hive Mind and the supposedly pervasive dislike of the Matrix sequels.

No…no, I really don’t think that’s what’s happening there.

I’m not sure how someone could enjoy the first movie and hate the subsequent two. The sequels just aren’t very different from the original movie, but somehow everyone only likes the first movie.

You can’t possibly believe that with any sincerity. The sequels are vastly different from the original in so many ways, not least in terms of plotting, structure, and willingness to use real actors in action scenes. I mean, did you not notice that the sequels have basically no bullet time sequences, and those that are in there are lame CG approximations as opposed to the actually revolutionary use of physical in-camera shots? How about the fact that the first film’s psycho-technobabble is mostly internally consistent, while the sequels not only diverge from what was established in the original but can’t even agree with one another?

It’s really sad that the (admittedly awful) second Matrix game Shiny made had a more interesting premise and setting than the sequel films.

Cool. I’m really not trying to convince anyone that they’re good. I don’t really care one way or the other what you or Zylon or anyone else thinks. I’m sincere when I say that I really liked them both and that I think they’re good.

…and in his big screen debut, Ray Barnholt as Asha, captain of the rogue ship Yazata who could be Neo’s best friend or worst enemy and who has in his cargo hold an artifact from the Before Times that could be the key to the destiny of both man and machine!

I guess it depends on what you mean by “cargo hold”.

See, I see this more as Revolutions’ fault than Reloaded. Reloaded set up a bunch of unanswered questions which were enough to intrigue the nerd population; after it was released I remember enormous excitement for what the last installment would hold. Sure there were stupid scenes, like pretty much all the Monica Bellucci stuff, but I appreciated that they at least tried to have a climax that involved ideas instead of just another fight. It has some intriguing concepts; that there have been other “Chosen Ones” before and Neo is not unique. That there is some place inside the Matrix which holds secrets on how to destroy it. That it is possible for people in the “real world” to have their minds infected by an agent computer program. Etc.

Unfortunately none of these things were answered in Revolutions, which was one long nonsensical shitfest. Making Reloaded retroactively suck for posing questions with no answers.

I also think Reloaded’s action sequences are better. The car chase on the freeway is still awesome to watch - the camera convincingly follows Trinity’s motorcycle under moving trucks, and I don’t think you can watch the Agent Smith clone fight without chuckling (is it meant to be taken seriously?)

The “Burly brawl” with all the Agent Smiths was serious with a wink from the filmmakers, like the bowling pin strike sound effect when Neo knocks over a bunch of agents.

I a have a feeling of deja-vu.