Anyone want to play a game of chess?

I was soundly defeated by Chcopperpot. Great game, sir!

Thanks for the game. Here is the link. https://lichess.org/YYeoUvMs/

Man it’s crazy to check out their analyses of the games.

@newbrof wins our game! That was really fun.

@AWS260 Good game. I was suddenly boxed in with my king, and was very afraid, that you would bring your queen over and check mate me with the help of your knight.

I only had a chance with my light-squared bishop against your king.

That was the plan! Until I forgot that the h1 square existed.

Funny, I wanted your kingside pawns to push forward, to expose your king, I used my queen and bishop as bait. And then I was faced with this avalanche of pawns, sort of backfired. Lesson learned, I guess ;)

When I pushed f4 I was thinking, “Well, this will either work, or it really, really won’t work.”

@krayzkrok your time’s running out. Just making sure you didn’t forget…

What level is everyone at in these games? It seems to show everyone at 1500.

I’m probably 7000.

They seem to put a ? next to your rating until you’ve got a few games under your belt.

I was holding steady just over 1400 in rapid and blitz games, but that’s actually been slipping this week. I don’t have enough “correspondence” games for a rating there, yet, but the first few games have been a mixed bag.

I started my games as unrated. Should I start them rated for the tournament?

Speaking only for myself, I don’t mind keeping the games here casual (although I’ll play them rated, too, either way,) but I was kinda curious where I’d land in the big picture, so I’ve been playing rated games on the side.

They’re using Glicko rather than Elo as their rating system, which computes not only a rating but an certainty interval. The rating turns non-provisional (removing the question mark) once they think the rating is right within 110 points.

I finally got a non-provisional rating on Rapid, at 1458. Which is way closer to average than expected, given I had never played chess seriously and not at all for three decades until a few weeks ago.

Still making a ton of stupid mistakes in Rapid games, but at least the games no longer feel as stressful due to the timer as they first couple did.

I don’t know where some people get their high rating. Just played a 1741? rated player, 2d per move. Played like a beginner… and 1741 is pretty high.

Yeah, I was going to jump in, but I haven’t really played in almost 25 years, I couldn’t make the first moves of Bird’s opening by memory if I had a gun to my head, but even 1500 ELO is pretty strong/solid.

One more tournament game done:

Thanks for the game @justaguy2, that was tight basically to the end!

Shoryuken!

Good game, @Mark_Crump

Ugh, that was just a bad showing by me. I really struggle at times with the top-down view and am so used to – and prefer wooden pieces. I almost thought about setting up a wooden board to use on this match.

My entire game be summed up with this:
me: I will not get blinded by what I want to do and not pay attention to what my opponent is doing.
Narrator Voice: He will not.

Good game. That was a trouncing.