Anyone want to play a game of chess?

It was unusual (for me) to have a game where the points position was equal but it was between 3 pawns v 1 bishop.

@Starflightdream
16. g4 forced me to get a rook + 1 pawn for 2 pieces. Usually this trade does not thrill me, but the position with the king in the center made me think it is ok. Good try!

Then somehow your queen ran out of squares. I kind of got lucky here…

Good game! I tried to cycle my queen over to go for a checkmate, but just gave up too much ground too quickly and ended up boxed in.

Well played.

I thought I played well and logical, then I checked with the engine. There were several moments where I gave away my advantage up to a point (g4). But the engine wanted to exchange pieces. And I know, that when I exchange too many pieces it gets harder and harder to play for win (unless you have material advantage)…

@krayzkrok you are about to time out in our game – about an hour left!

EDIT: It timed out. Sorry, hate to earn a point this way.

this concludes our queens gambit themed tournament. I had great fun!

https://challonge.com/de/3akpro58

@tylertoo ugh, incoming pawn fork on e4, lucky you!

Thanks for running it @newbrof

Yes, I don’t particularly feel like I earned a point in any way. Consider us tied for the bottom!

Maybe everyone had agreed that the tournament rules were to be strict about timing. But if not, FYI there’s a + button that extends your opponent’s timer so this doesn’t have to happen.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks! How long is the extension?

Too late for this game, but I was going to propose another to @krayzkrok for bragging rights on avoiding last place.

I’ve only used it once, and it was a “what does this button do?” situation, but I think it resets the timer.

once you see it, you cannot unsee it. I had no idea there even was a plus, it is right there.

grafik

Thanks for suggesting and organizing this, @newbrof! I really enjoyed all of my games.

Aye, thanks for organizing. 'Twas great fun!

Wow, I never noticed that. Thanks for finding it.

If you want to start over, we can do a new game and then recreate those moves up until that point, or just start a new game. Up to you.

Actually, you can set up a position in the Tools function, and then invite a friend with a URL or by lichess username. So I just set up the board, and will PM you the link, and we can just take it from where we left off. When you do it this way, there is no clock, but that’s fine, just take your time.

I’m not thinking this would change the tourney results, but it really doesn’t matter since neither of us was in competition for a top spot. I also don’t mind playing the challenge you sent as a new game if you want. Let me know.

@Mark_Weston congrats and thanks for a fun game. I sure botched the ending.

you had him, forced mate in 2 moves. Could be a puzzle training.

Qg3+ e5
Qg6#

Qxd8 also looks good, then promoting to a new queen.

I was doing a chess course and I learned when looking for moves, first look for checks. If no good checks available, look for captures, then look for threats like against loose pieces. And do this for every of your moves in the game. You do not want to miss some tactics for you (or your opponent)

Carlsen just missed a mate in 2 on the chess tour against Maxime VL