Anyone want to play a game of chess?

I have no correspondence games in progress and I’m sad. Anyone fancy a non-tournament casual game?

@Mark_Weston if you are looking for an easy victory, feel free to send a lichess invite.

@Murph our Caro Kann game timed out on your end. I didn’t realize it was getting close, perhaps it was the holiday weekend, or I would have extended you time. If you want to resume from where we left off, let me know.

your game is the last one in the round. Let me know later if you will resume, otherwise we can finish this round.

Will do. Up to @Murph. Sorry, both of us were moving slowly.

Yeah, was out of town and logged in last night and literally saw “timed out 15 seconds ago.” Seriously!?!?

I would be willing to recreate it but don’t wanna hold up the tourney. Just put me down as a loss and move on.

That said, if @tylertoo wants to finish it up, I’m happy to do that.

Let’s try to finish up with the same moves, and we’ll both try to move quickly.

@Murph do you have time to set it up?

Yep, I’ll send an invite shortly.

Thanks. I’ve sent you a challenge.

Also, I recall our first game being pretty tough.

The funny thing is, I’ve now lost so many games in a row that I’ve lost confidence, and that kind of snowballs. So much of this game is mental.

Hey look, no point doing it if it isn’t fun. Feel free to ignore the challenge.

I get that. A lot. I mean I ENJOY every game, but I’ve lost some when I get overly confident, and when I’m playing someone who has beaten me repeatedly, I sort of just go into it expecting to lose, and it seems like that’s not a good place to sit, either.

It is still fun! I do believe I have more fun in casual though than the ‘pressure’ of a tourney! Which is silly.

Black to move and win. I had trouble finding the solution, but found it eventually. Problem is, in a real game I would have stopped looking after a view tries. If you know there is a winning move, you can spend all your time and will find it. In a timed game over the board it is way harder. Time is an important resource.

I give up.

I think the first move for black is maybe d4 ? But looking again, I now see a way for white to escape what I was planning.

I’d play Qe6 but there are a lot of variations from there.

1… Rxe1+
2. Rxe1. R-e2.

If Rxe2 Qxc3. If Qxf6, Rxe1+ then g7xf6

you got it. This position doesn’t look like much. Loose queen on c3 is a start.

I never would have found the second move. It’s so unintuitive to my peanut-sized chess brain.

yes, the second move took me a long look.