Anyone want to play a game of chess?

The games in the Candidates have mostly been very entertaining so far. Hikaru’s recaps are really good.

But I doubt any of them will have any chance against Magnus.

Magnus could not beat Caruana in classical, and Caruana had good positions against him. So I hope he will get a second chance.

Wow, Magnus is out!! Ian v Ding for the WC!!

Hikaru was right there! All he had to do was draw his last game. Too bad, the memes would’ve been epic.

Hikaru was certain that Magnus would play if Hikaru would have been second.

The good thing is the match is likely to be a real thriller. Ding is rated higher than Nepo, but Nepo won the candidates and has the experience of the previous WC.

Chess is now a contact sport!

I always break fingers if my opponent pulls some funny stuff on me…

He broke the first law of robotics!

Australia defeats Norway at the Olympiad!!

Carlsen won ofc, but the Aussies held out for a 2.5 - 1.5 result!! Great!

Do you think Hans did it?

The simplest answer is no. But man I hadn’t heard him speak in about 2 years since his initial appearance on the scene, and he’s a weird dude. Probably needs some sort of intervention.

I think it’s very poor from Carlsen to insinuate he cheated but not make any statement or give any reason or evidence. That is an allegation that can ruin a career.

I have no idea if Hans did it. I thought this was a pretty reasonable defense by someone who has worked with him.

But yeah he is a weird one.

I read this and it reminded me how passionate written apologetics on the Internet come across so weird that I end up with more questions than when I started.

I don’t think there’s a lot to go on here either way. I assume Magnus will say something eventually and we’ll all forget about this until someone wants to be a troll again!

I see the whole clusterfuck has expanded now. But I missed his passionate defense a couple days ago.

I love this stuff! He still might want to ease up on the chess though.

The response from Danny and Chess.com:

Even spicier! Now I’m wondering how closely they’re interacting with Magnus. I know they bought him out but I don’t think the deal is closed yet. The timing is definitely odd.

On a more serious note, someone should probably check on his mental welfare just to be safe. He did say chess was his entire life, and if he doesn’t have a good response to this, that life might be over.

So Magnus still hasn’t said anything?! Just lit a match, threw it over his shoulder and walked off. This whole saga had not reflected well on anyone involved so far.