Anyone watching This is Us?

I don’t think the storyline shows a lack of planning. The formula for the show is to mix past and present scenes. It’s not surprising they are continuing that.

Oh, wait. So you guys know how he died? Okay, I thought it was this never ending storyline thing, which irritates me to no end. I’m glad they had something in mind and it sounds like you guys liked it. I might go back to it when I can binge watch the stuff.

@Mark_Asher I agree that the mixing the past and present is an effective story telling tactic, but I was just objecting to stretching out this one plot point over (I think) multiple seasons and all the fients, etc.

Dang, now I want to know how he dies and all the circumstances and such. Do they still make use of the past, if everyone knows how dad died? I think the premise of the show was everyone was having their thirtieth birthday or something, but that seems to have gone away (or maybe I’m just misremembering how it all started).

They do. I was a little worried without that particular element that it would lack some of the drive from the past, earlier part of the series, but they are still managing to to keep things going, pretty strong, mixing past, present and also… future. Or at least I perceive that one piece as future. It’s emotionally still very gripping and the ability to relate to all the characters still quite strong.

I already felt they were stretching the premise in their current 3 seasons, but it looks like it’s been extended for 6.

I was kind of hoping this was going to be a well defined story with a predefined arc!

I don’t see any evidence this has not a plan just because they have their additional seasons. They’re doing very well with the story arcs thus far, so I am not sure where the distrust came from other than the true reason Jack died took a little long, but the end result was pretty… well let’s just say the reaction was so strong that the TV creators and a Brand had to remind everyone about the fact it was fiction.

This is a powerful series that hasn’t had a huge misstep, yet.

I don’t blame people for being skeptical. I bailed on Lost shortly after I think a polar bear showed up or something.

I still love this sure. I can relate to every character, I mean everyone… Even the new ones. I don’t understand how they do that but God I keep waiting for a sure to stop and it doesn’t. They’ve got surprises stop and comfort… Is just great TV.

I am not sure if others picked this up post Winter Break but it’s still excellent thus far. The sibling links this season are strong and very well done.

I missed the first one of winter due to cable outage, but have caught the last couple. It’s been pretty great and I don’t hate the main three at all so far. Well, I haven’t really seen Kate and she’s got the most potential for hate so we’ll see. I do hope the Kevin plot twist last night doesn’t screw up his arc though.

I love this series.

Very late to the thread (sad I missed out early on) but yeah, the girlfriend is OBSESSED with this show, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it quite a bit myself. The cast is just fantastic, and the writers are good at keeping us guessing and keeping things moving along. I adore Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia, and that’s of course what hooked me at first, but now I’m a fan of literally everyone in it and I look forward to it almost as much as Kim does.

They’re also really good at making you revisit characters you hate. I think the last one or maybe it was the one before is the first time Rebecca’s mom showed half an ounce of decency. It doesn’t at all make-up for what she does with Randall, but her interference with her husband’s interference made a difference.

Oh man Rebecca’s parents were the worst, for sure.

I don’t keep up with this show, but I’m around a lot of people that do, and what I find so entertaining is how strongly people tend to attach to or identify with their favorite character. Me, I’m a Randall stan.

I feel like I connect with… all of them, the primary characters, in some way. It’s quite… unique. It’s hard to pick the top one but probably Randall, sort of Kate.

They’re definitely all relatable in their own way. I think I’m equal parts Randall and Jack.

The latest so had some nice Kate and Rebecca moments. But I’m not buying that Toby is now some raging asshole cuz he’s having grief over his sons blindness. I feel like I missed a bunch of episodes of Toby being a dick and all I recall is that he hid his stress relief workouts? And he’s been previously diagnosed and treated for depression, right? The whole thing with Kate about to leave Toby or have an affair with the neighbor really seems out of left field. Unless I missed an ep or two that focused on asshole Toby.

Toby had a complete breakdown, and was taking pills at one point for it.

He’d also be ranting to this girl at the workout, probably relieving some steam about his frustration which seems like a dick move except… they’ve never really shown who else Toby would talk to. Kate has her brothers, mom and that one girl from the eating group. Toby has her brothers too, but he can’t really complain to Kevin and Randall too that level about Kate..

Kate about to have an affair might be complete out of character, but we’re also still working through her early adult relationship thing which I think might be a trigger for her self-esteem body issues that could tie into this somehow.

I might be an episode behind too. Only one though.

And now I am caught up. Yeah, they’re not pulling any punches with this one.

I’m not sure they’re moving in the “affair” direction just yet, but there’s definitely stress. She’s connecting with Neighbor Dude in a way she’s NOT with Toby, and that’s unsettling, but there’s still a pretty good jump from there to “affair,” and I’m not convinced that line will get crossed.

I also think Toby is not exactly getting a fair shake, but it’s a period of strife for them all and it’s understandable maybe that nobody is handling it great. Overally, nothing catastrophic has happened between them yet…I’m hoping they can steer away from that direction. I’m pulling for Kate and Toby!