Anyone watching This is Us?

Me too! Toby went through a really low point, Kate hung in there. Toby is struggling again, but I am hoping a glimpse of the future, which we haven’t had in a bit, might ease some worry too.

I thought the last future scenes that showed a rift between Randall and the others also seemed to indicate marital issues between Toby and Kate. But that’s been a while and I could totally be wrong. Or I could be right but it was a fake out by the show.

Regardless, I’m in the Kate/Toby camp and are really pulling for them. Which is why I don’t get the seeming jump in Kate’s attitude towards Toby.

Well we definitely saw one flash-forward that Kate wasn’t present in, but there’s also a deal that she’s expected to lose some weight along the way, which could make flash-forwards impossible for her character.

There have definitely been hints in flash-forwards that things are rocky, or that they might not be together, but nothing has been conclusive. They could, as you say, be fake-outs, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

I’m choosing to remain optimistic.

Did you watch the Oscars? I don’t think she’s making much progress there…

Man I know. From what I’ve read, they don’t have concrete numbers or a timeline or anything, but she is supposed to be losing weight as the show goes on. But I’m with you – not to sound like an asshole, but I think she’s actually heavier than she was a season or two ago.

Still, if that’s their plan, that makes flash-forwards difficult.

She’s trying. Also…

She really does sing.

Oh yeah, hell of a voice, for sure.

And I like Chrissy, I’ve heard her on a podcast and I think she’s awesome. It just looks like lately she’s put some weight on, not dropped it. I don’t mean that as an attack, just an observation.

She was great at the Oscars and I love it when she gets to sing on the show. She and Mandy got a very brief snippet of a karaoke song last week and it was great.

No worries.

I didn’t read it as an attack. She’s struggled with her weight most her life, like a lot of people do. I don’t know why they would tie weight loss to the show. That seems like a bad idea. Really bad. I’m pretty sure we’ve proven negative pressure doesn’t work. Hopefully her success in this show and that movie and singing builds her up enough to just have the support she needs to proceed how she wants to, regardless of the show.

With Chrissy’s weight and Milo’s partial paralysis… it’s just great to see a big show have ordinary people in it, flaws and glory and all, and that’s actors. Throw in the depth of the characters, and right now it’s just great.

Kleenex evening for sure, also, wow what a reveal at the end… sort of.

I like Future Kevin’s hair and makeup.

Me too! It is also very attractive on him.

That’s the first time we’ve seen him in that future right? I thought that was… big.

Yeah!

As in, spoilers? They’ved talked about him in the present-tense in the future, e.g. “Kevin’s house”. He just wasn’t “on camera” for whatever reason. I guess to leave an aid of mystery around what state he’s in?

Good ep all the way around. It might have been a little too much of a ‘everything is fine at the end of the ep’ if I think about it too hard. But 18 year old Kate’s storyline wasn’t something I wanted to drag out. I thought having all of the main Three together was played pretty well and satisfying, even if short and perhaps a little too convenient. And hopefully Toby is back to being Toby. Though that was a super weird thing to have happen to Baby Jack at just that moment. Still, it seems they are moving past asshole-Toby.

I never felt like Asshole Toby was really that big of an asshole! I mean, yeah, it’s shitty to feel that way about your son, but – it’s understandable, and it would be an adjustment. Venting to the group was maybe a bit uncool, but also…understandable. I don’t know. I really REALLY like his character, and maybe that colors my perception, but I never felt like he was really as bad as she was making him out to be. He hasn’t handled everything great, but it’s been a rough time for them both, and they’ve had different coping mechanisms, but neither of them have been perfect.

I do hope they get back on track though. Looks like they’re going to.

The man was a raging addict. He has slipped before so… at least in the glimpse we got, he’s driving, his hands aren’t shaking, he isn’t wearing sunglasses at night… he looks like he is still doing well in those later years. We didn’t know what shape he really was in. Also, she called him brother-in-law so I assume her marriage is still aok too.

Well Kate kept saying he hates his son, but really Toby seemed to hate the situation, had no real desire to harm their son, but hey they’re going through a lot so both of them have leeway to deal with it imperfectly.

Still on team Kate and Toby.

As for Kate, dear lord… that other relationship was hard to watch.

Oh, to be clear I never did either. It just felt like the show (primarily through Kate’s reactions) wanted us to see Toby as suddenly this raging dick who Kate is about to justifiably leave. Even though his actions didn’t seem all that horrible to me. I think earlier I said it felt like I missed the ‘Toby the Dick!’ episode where Kate’s attitude towards him was justified.

Well I can play devil’s advocate there, too. I think it’s less about him being a total dick than just about not giving her the emotional connection she craves regarding their son, which she suddenly is getting from Cranky Neighbor. Toby’s pain is leaving a void in Kate, which she’s finding elsewhere – this is also a very normal human situation.

That said, I am not – and never was – convinced that Kate’s actually going to leave Toby, or even stray. I think it’s just intended to create tension and questions, but I don’t think they’ll actually see that through. I hope.

It seemed more to me that someone has to be strong… because there is a child. You can’t, well it would be really bad, to have both parents fall apart, and it fell onto Kate which is just… not fair either. And that does make him an asshole, although not a permanent one.

Another enjoyable ep. Kevin and Randall’s stories went well and avoided being drug out. Kate’s started to head into Hate-Kateville, but avoided it in the end. I still think they made her reactions to Tobys fears and actions much more ‘dramatic’ than was warranted. But I’m glad they moved past it for now at least.

Yeah, I feel like Kate and Toby are finally back on track. You’re not wrong that her reactions were dramatic, but it’s a tough time for her, too, and maybe that’s believable.

Solid episode this week, as usual.