aow pbem game

So here we go. If Dire Bears work well, Polar Bears should be good too. And Elven Hunters have longbows, so that’s also a plus.

Probably.

Which reminds me, Hunters, with the proper upgrades, should have no trouble with Dire Penguins. What other units can we expect besides Penguins?

Wiki says “Soon a Arch-Druid hero armed with powerful items will roam the map with his armies of Dire Penguins. (Hero spawns after Cosmic Happening completes)”: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Cosmic_Events
“A level 12 Archdruid roams the map along with Dire Penguins, a Yeti and a Polar Bear.”: https://aow3db.tumblr.com/post/119436881568/rise-of-the-dire-penguins

That is going to be really tough.

I hate high level heroes!

The rest is very much manageable.

I believe he’s a Frostling. You know how tough these Frostling Archdruids are!

P.S. I’m curious, are you going to produce Yetis yourself?

You might very well think that, but I couldn’t possible comment.

Especially as they hit level 12. By the way, what’s the level limit in our game?

Level 20

Woo-hoo! There is some room to grow. Thanks, @Mysterio!

By the way, congratz with building your grand palace, the grandest palace of them all.

Yeah that’s pretty much how I rolled. The polar bear was the meat shield before my swordsmen got it.

I’m intrigued by these dire penguins!

Those hero events are so much fun.

On rate occasion I’ve had the perfect set up to take them down quickly, once I think it was 10 manticore riders and some heroes or something silly, and the items you get are wonderful. :)

A very quiet round. I took out some guardians for only a little bit a loot. I say that someone has a Tier 4 unit, so that’s a bit discouraging. That being said, I’m building up a few small armies to help with the eventual arrival of the Druid. Not sure how good Shaman and Hunters will hold up, but fingers crossed.

I will have some animals to back them up I guess.

One nice thing is that a few of my units have arctic concealment. So, I guess they are mostly hidden in my domain.

No problem, and thanks!

Despite having played the game for 224 hours (from restarting the Elf campaign many times (after being distracted by another game and coming back to AoW3 multiple times) and our two MP games), I didn’t even know there was a global quest for building the palace. So when you and others complete a global quest, I think, “Huh. Didn’t know that was a thing. Maybe I should bother reading the entire list of global quests.”

For me, the purpose of these MP games is to force me to keep playing the game, because others are relying on me to take my turns. So I don’t have too much of a strategy other than reducing the “Huh, that’s interesting” moments, 'cause it means I’m learning the game!

Forgot to mention: I’m concerned about two adjacent armies of Archons (9 units total?) in close proximity to my 10 units. If they attack, I hope I survive.

I finally cleared an Epic site which I’ve been meaning to do since the beginning. Realised I couldn’t bring a second army so had to carefully shuffle my units to get a good mix and, man, I wiped the floor with them (‘probable victory’) and it felt great!

Finally starting to wrap my head around the tactical combat, which, as good as it is, has a few quirks that take some getting used to. Stuff like range (‘medium’ wtf), actions, flanking angles, attacks of opportunity, brink of death full strength attacking, ranged obstruction and LOS.

Nice job with the Epic site.

I’m working my way through a couple of local sites. What happens when you beat a Catalyst?

Penguins happen.

Congrats!

I took out a 6 units stack of Archons. It was the one that @legowarrior wrote about a few turns ago. Not sure if this changed anything for you, @Mysterio.

Btw, you beat me to the grand palace by 1 turn. Now I have my own, though it’s not as grand as yours.

There is still a spawn site near the Archon dwelling. Are you keeping it as training grounds or do you want someone to clear it out?

I wonder if @Mysterio and @geggis went to bed by now or whether we can play a second turn today.

I just got up but I do hope to deal with the camp that’s spewing angry bones on to my kingdom.

What a boring turn. And someone beat me to Tier 6 research!

Always the bridemaid, never the bride it seems.

In other news, still prepare for that druid. Got some things in the works that will help, but it did mean putting my expansion on hold for a bit. Never fun, but necessary.

The turns are going quick this time. Maybe a double turn day?