Apple April 20, 2021 Event: iPads and iMacs ahoy!

AirTags are a thing!

Ted Lasso season 2 teaser!

New Apple TV 4K with A12 chip - HDR+high frame rate

AirPlay now supports high frame rate

Ok, I’m down for a new Apple TV 4K. New remote, woot!!

They’ve turned your iPhone into a color balance tool in conjunction with Apple TV - no more fooling around with your TV’s settings.

New remote! New pad that’s more like how iPods used to work.

Oof, price increase - $179/$199. But who am I kidding, I’ll get one and put the old one in my bedroom.

New M1 iMac! Looks like a gigantic iPad!

So many colors. They’re really trying to recapture the original iMac magic.

LOL the motherboard for the iMac is a tiny sliver now.

New remote has a power button, and a mute button, and appears to be much thicker. I like it. AppleTV still pricey though.

At least they fixed that awful remote. But yeah, it’s a lot of money for a streamer. I had hoped they would integrate microphones and a little speaker so it would act like an echo dot, at least.

I want a 30" monitor like this.

Again, there is no reason to make a desktop computer so damn thin. Sacrificing upgradeability for, well, nothing. You don’t look at it from the side, so it makes zero difference. I’m screaming into the wind on this obviously, Apple is aware of that and doesn’t care, but I feel compelled to say it.

No new Apple silicon for the new iMac. Same M1 chip.

They really went ultra minimalist on this. The ethernet cable plugs into the power brick on the floor.

Touch ID now on the Magic Keyboard.

I assume that means they are saving the big iMac for new silicon. I am happy to wait for that.

Yeah, this is a 24" model. Maybe there’s an iMac Pro coming at 30" later.

Oh new iPad Pro with the M1 chip. They’re really going for it.

Are we getting close to being able to choose between iPad OS and MacOS on boot on the iPad Pro?

Wow did not expect that. Of course my current iPad has never slowed down as it is.

I guess they figured there wasn’t much point in building separate fabs for an A14X when they were already churning out M1. The x86 translation stuff won’t be used on iOS, but it won’t hurt anything, just wastes a bit of space on the fab.

At this point, you’d almost have too. I mean, the A-series chips weren’t exactly power constrained with iOS apps.

My debit card is in my hand.

Does it work with iPads? And does it need the new AppleTV?

Not sure about iPads, but it is only for calibrating the picture on your AppleTV, since it’s automatic. It wouldn’t know how to change your TV’s settings.

So who will be the first to put Big Sur on the iPad 12.9", hehe?

Cheap day for me. Won’t be getting anything.