Apple Event 9/7/16 - iPhones and Pokemons!

Not sure if this is on by default, but this setting will help mitigate accidentally activating Siri:

General → Accessibility → Home Button → Rest Finger to Open

Also make sure “Raise to wake” is turned on under Display & Brightness.

Now when you pick up your phone, you can simply rest your Touch ID finger on the home button, and you’re in.

A local store here have a sale on those Apple-branded hard silicone case for like $10 and so I decided on a change. I have been using a Spigen Tough Armor for like almost 3 years and a change of case made me feel like owning a brand new new iPhone ! What a huge difference and Oh so slim!! Shed that old skin, folks!

While I don’t disagree with your advice, I think it’s more of just getting used to how the home button works. The new button was awkward the first couple of days, but you soon get used to it. If not, then start playing with settings. My advice to any new iPhone user would be to use it with the default settings for a few days, and then dive into settings and start playing with things.

IMO those two settings should be default. Picking up your phone, having it turn on and unlock via touch id without pressing any buttons? It’s magical!

Raise to wake is the shit, and I will fight to the death anyone that disagrees with me, John Wick style.

Raise to wake must have been set by default and I can’t think of why you wouldn’t want it on. Got used to the home button pretty quick and I’ve only brought up Siri a couple of times on accident since yesterday.

Auto fill is great again!!! My S6 that I got rid of has horrible auto fill fthat never got better. No idea what the deal was since all previous droids did fine. Anyway, it’s Great Again. Thanks Trump!

Not sure if you do any cooking, but IMHO, the best use of Siri is hands-free setting of cooking timers. I have my phone set to respond to “Hey Siri,” so I’m constantly saying “Hey Siri, 20 minute timer,” etc. I also use it to set reminders “Hey Siri, remind me to take the trash out tomorrow at 5pm.” etc. Those functions work pretty well. Oh yeah – I’ll also ask Siri for the weather forecast in the AM, though we have an Echo Dot that provides far better forecasts.

A serious question. Is raise to wake affected by carrying it in your pocket? I mean, does it have to be horizontal and then raised for it to work? I haven’t used it because I was worried that it would be constantly turning on and of as I sat and got up.

Raise to wake takes a very deliberate movement. Just holding it vertically, like in your pocket, doesn’t turn it on.

Since we’re talking iPhones. I have a question. My wife has an old 5c and it’s starting to show its age. Does a factory reset have any benefit for slower iPhones?

I think it would have a marginal effect at best. IMHO the slowdown is more due to OS upgrades adding complexity that taxes the processor more and more. Wouldn’t hurt to try though. But if you factory reset and then restore a backup it’s not clear to me that you wouldn’t just end up where you started.

My wife once had to do a factory reset and reinstall apps individually (she was having phone issues and this was the advice from the Apple Genius Bar). That may have improved her performance, since she tended to only put the apps back that she really used - but since it mainly boiled down to “I never use this app, I’m not reinstalling it” the main effect was freeing up some space on the device. I doubt it had much effect on the phone’s performance.