Apple September 15 2020 Event - iPad Air 4, Apple Watch - no iPhone

The new iPad Air is super sexy, that redeemed the whole thing. Expensive for a tablet, but less ridiculous than the Pro.

Oh yeah, sure, if I needed an iPad I would be all over that. But my 2018 Pro is still better.

Holy fuck, iOS 14 tomorrow? Way to give your devs time to get ready.

Yep, I have a 2018 Pro 11" too. It’s offensively overpriced but I love that thing.

Err, devs had like a 6 month beta period.

Surely devs knew it was going to be very soon?

It’s still buggy. Just this morning, my stacked widget blanked out…again.

I haven’t been paying attention to this one, but the new Air might be something I get next year.

I am still on my OG 12.9"

Well, there is soon, and tomorrow soon :). Barely enough time to get a build up.

Yep, pretty much every developer is complaining on Twitter right now. :-)

There’s also the fact that the iPad Pro comes in a 12.9” version. I use my iPad Pro for drawing, and switching from the 11” to the 12.9” made a huge difference. (12.9” is also nicer for watching movies!) I agree this does make the smaller iPad Pro less compelling.

Also assuming iPad Pro still has more RAM, that controls how many layers you can use in a drawing. So that can make a difference too.

Spotify isn’t happy.

This is one complaint I give them :)

Heck, the ram makes a huge difference with Safari. I never have issues with tabs on my Pro like I used to with the Air. I can have a ton of tabs open and it loads the whole page, so no waiting for it to load as I scroll.

Looking at pricing, the 256GB iPad Air is $749, compared to the 128GB Pro 11" at $799. I would certainly get the Pro.

And then the Apple One bundle. The individual bundle costs $15/month and the components would cost $21 purchased separately. But that includes $5 for AppleTV+ which nobody would ever pay for. So really you’re saving $1/month on the 50GB iCloud plan. So it barely makes sense only if you want Apple Music and Arcade.

The family plan costs $20/month and would be $28 purchased separately. If you discount AppleTV+ because it sucks shit, you save $3/month.

If these plans included Apple News+ they would be much more compelling.

Yeah.

I actually have a News+ because there are a handful of magazines I read on it that I don’t like enough to carry subs on their own.

and goddamn you for making sense and talking me out of a powered blue Air that I wasn’t going to buy for a while anyway.

If you’re OK with 64GB of storage the baseline Air makes a lot of sense. That’s a bit tight if you want to store a bunch of movies for a long flight, though.

Although with iOS13 you can just plug in a USB drive, so that’s not a huge problem anymore.

True. If I was more mobile I’d think of a new iPad. But since a big commute for me is going downstairs instead of my office, my older 12.9 still holds up.

I am waiting to see what happens with Apple Silicon next year at any rate.

The base plan won’t work for me, since I have over 50gb in iCloud. So I would have to get the family plan, at least. But that does give me Arcade and TV. Now, I wouldn’t pay for TV on its own, but I have found myself watching it more lately, so I will take it. I would kind of like News, but I would never use Fitness+. But even then, it’s not horrible.

So they will get my money on one of the plans.

If you actually watch TV+ the bundles aren’t a bad deal at all. I didn’t realize anyone did.

We have a a few threads about it here. Everyone loves Ted Lasso and I have watched a few of the shows. It’s not bad, just a hard sale on it’s own.

I am kind of considering an Air with cellular. In normal times (which probably are coming soon for me), it would be really handy. Especially since it works with the Magic Keyboard and Pencil I already have. I am more concerned with paying Verizon more money than the cost of the machine though. Yes, my logic is stupid, but another monthly fee…

It’s got some decent shows on it now. I really liked Mythic Quest and I’m enjoying Ted Lasso. I also hear For All Mankind is pretty decent, although I haven’t gotten to it yet.

I got it free with my iPad Pro, but if they continue to put out quality content I could see paying $5/month for it. It’s rather light on stuff now, but maybe by the time my complimentary subscription runs out it will have a larger catalog.