Apple Silicon Event November 10

It’s been a while since many Mac models had upgradeable memory, so many customers had already loss that flexibility.

I wasn’t talking about the consumer, Apple doesn’t give a crap about that. This means they’ll need to fabricate different chips for each configuration. The 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc, M1s will be different packages.

Now maybe the M1 will just be 16GB, then it won’t be an issue. But that wouldn’t be very “pro”.

Man, the guy from Panic looks exactly like you’d envision.

I like how they mentioned games were faster than on integrated graphics. Translation: we can’t beat discrete yet.

Integrated graphics is improving quickly, modern AMD CPUs (which are still on Vega architecture, not even RDNA1) can play real games at 1080p30 with medium settings, and Intel is matching that next generation.

Yeah, I was more being sarcastic, but I’d be curious to see how the 16" benchmarks on the M1.

Ooh, macbook air is completely silent. That is impressive. Completely passively cooled.

I really thought they’d hit 20 hours on the laptop.

Apple particularly cares about the air being thin and light. That may happen on the Pro.

Display still has 2016-class bezels. Boo, Apple.

Yeah, depends on graphics. The 16" takes a hit with the dGPU and screen.

That dGPU is a thing of the past, bruh. If it ain’t on the SoC you ain’t getting it.

I know. I was talking about the existing model. Edit: but they might have a different GPU-style class in the new 16"

Yes, and it might have more RAM, etc. All possible, just increases costs.

That mini is nice.

I dunno, $300 more and you get a whole laptop.

Sounds like graphics are better on the Mini.

Yes in that it’s actively cooled so it won’t throttle.

Mini tops out at 16GB. Keep that pro video market segmented, kids.

Apple keeps pimping their “neural engine” but short of specific content creator filters, the only use anyone has ever found for it is computational photography-- great on a cellphone, don’t care on a laptop.

And only 2 TB ports-- on the pro laptop. That sucks.

With active cooling I expect performance on the 13" MBP to obliterate the Air with any sustained load, even though they have the exact same SoC.

So much for the rumor of the 16" getting refreshed today

Even MacBook Pro tops out at 16GB? Maybe with the fast SSD and memory right on the CPU it makes a difference, but on traditional architectures you’d certainly want 32-64GB to edit 4K or 8K video.