Apple Silicon Event November 10

OK, the M1 looks sexy in theory. Not interested in the MacBook Air, but was excited about the Mac Mini until I saw a 16GB RAM limit. They say it is great for scientists but limit the RAM so much??

I am much more interested in Apple today - the ML upgrades look (in theory) pretty interesting. But I need to see some non-Apple software benchmarks before I get too excited.

Like I said, with DRAM on the chip they need to fabricate a completely different SoC to offer different RAM sizes.

Here we go again!

My biggest disappointment is that Apple didn’t reduce those screen bezels. Their industrial design is positively ancient looking.

The first thin bezel XPS13 launched in 2015.

Hey, Apple might actually be a better platform today.

Yes, of course, that’s obvious. But I’m curious as to why they’re only releasing with the one size. Performance good enough with 16? Or just ramping up across the customer segments, with larger chips coming next year as they start making even higher-profit models for the performance-focused segment?

They kept referring to improved camera, but I think it might just be through computational tricks? In a world where everyone is on Zoom/Teams/Meet all day long, if they haven’t actually upgraded the physical camera, I’ll be disappointed.

Waiting to see specs.

Hodgeman!!!

Their decision to put DRAM on the SoC comes with enormous tradeoffs in cost and flexibility. Looks like they chose the most common amount of RAM and stuck with it for the first wave.

Having been around for the previous transitions (68K to PPC, PPC to Intel), I imagine they’re going to be quirky for a year or so.

The Hodgeman thing was lame. (I was excited to see him, but they could have written something much better.)

This first generation seems like it’s just a test, which I want no part of.

“Let’s throw our new silicon in the same old devices and see what happens!”

The 13" Pro is the model for people who need a pumped-up Air, and it has integrated components.

The 16" is a whole-nother beast they need to crack. The graphics performance on that needs to be special.

The return of “I’m a PC” was great.

My feeling is the hardware will be perfectly fine, but of course there will be issues with compatibility. I also suspect the passively cooled MBA is not going to perform well under many workloads.

Ultimately, I’m writing on HRose’s blog that Apple’s decision to integrate DRAM into the SoC will prove to be costly for them and not worthwhile.

Huh. So it’s over, and still no mention of that Tile-like tracker thingie that keeps getting rumoured?

I had hoped against hope that they’d also mention a new Apple TV, but I’m not surprised they didn’t. All rumours are pointing to early 2021 for that.

Most certainly, which isn’t surprising. This is going to be rough and probably take a few years. That said, I am dumb, I am going to get a Mini or Air.

The Air makes a lot of sense, because it’s extremely thin/light/silent with great battery life and thus will have use for many years to come, even if just for light tasks. The first-gen M1 mini and MBP13 I suspect will age more poorly.

Prices are up. Love Apple. I bought a 2 TB m.2 SSD for $200. Apple charges $200 (Pro/Mini) or $250 (Air) to go from 256GB to 512GB. (The only differentiator between models.)

Pretty hilarious they charge $50 more for the same expansion on their “budget” device.

I did find it very creepy how they introduced the instant on feature of the Air. What the heck was that?

Oh wow-- HOLD YOUR PURCHASES. The store is up-- every M1 product has only 8GB of RAM.

It looks they did do two chips-- you can upgrade to 16GB for a whopping $200 upsell.

Yeah.

I am not getting one, yet. My 2016 15" still suits my needs fine, crappy keyboard aside,.

For me there are two questions we won’t see answered for a while: how does it handle WoW; and what is the long-term future for Steam games?

WoW we will get answered in a week or so and we can get benchmarks on it over the existing Air/Pro. I am hopeful that current, active-developed games will also release builds for Apple Silicon, but I am less bullish on that, nor doom-and-gloom.

I waffle on getting a gaming PC, mainly because it’s $1500 that is solely leisure since the rest of my personal workflow is on a Mac, and I am damn happy about that. The 16" Pro is likely to be what I get.