Apple TV+ Recommendations

It was indeed Calls.

Kind of neither. :) But, yes, it’s episodic, so more like a TV show. Think of it as an anthology. Or is it?

-Tom

I’m 3 episodes into Pachinko right now and I’m right with @wisefool , it’s a great miniseries. Very well crafted historical family drama, and that’s without me having any real ties to Korean or Japanese culture. I suspect it would hit even harder for those who do.

“Trying” is a lovely light comedy set in London about a couple trying for a baby. Starring Rafe Spall and the enchanting Esther Smith. The missus and I really enjoyed this one. Would recommend.

Not a recommendation, but hey, maybe one day.

Right, so I’m coming to the end of the shows I re-upped for (except for For All Mankind, and that Attenborough dinosaur thing, both of which I’ve bailed on). Just want to make sure I haven’t missed anything essential before I switch it off again.

I’m caught up on Ted Lasso, Severance, Afterparty, Coda, the Herzog meteorite documentary and Foundation. Previously watched Mythic Quest and as much as I wanted to of Central Park. Should I watch Slow Horses? Anything else?

Slow horses is awesome! Watch it!

If you’re including AppleTV+ movies, I really liked the WW2 movie Greyhound, although opinions here seemed to be mixed, with some of us really liking it and some hating it.

Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson is great. 1971 is interesting.

3 months of free Apple TV+, no strings attached, you can cancel before 3 months are up and not get charged?

I just tried it, it worked. I guess Best Buy got my credit card info, if that’s a catch.

I’m three episodes into Suspicion and enjoying it thus far. Pretty standard thriller-mystery stuff, following British citizens accused of kidnapping an American. Caught my eye because it had Uma Thurman and Elizabeth Henstridge, but all the actors have been doing solid work.

Edit: Well, the journey is a lot better than the ending, which is either extremely contrived if you’re feeling kind, or nonsensical if you’re not. Still, I enjoyed the season overall, good characters and suspense. They just didn’t seem to know how to end it.

Not gonna start a new thread yet but Shrinking is freaking great. I guess there are some folks who don like Jason Segal but this show is a creation of his and Bill Lawrence and give the same feels of Scrubs. And Ted Lasso obviously. Great cast and Harrison Ford actually seeming to give a damn. Surprised a search didn’t at least find a mention of this but if you haven’t caught it yet it’s worth a look. Prob my favorite comedy in a while. Good stuff.

I just read a short review of it based on your comment. I’m in. i’ll line it up this weekend to watch with my wife.

Has anyone watched the episodes of Hello Tomorrow! that have dropped? Any of them? We just subbed for a little bit and I saw the first three episodes. If you’ve seen the trailer you’ll undoubtedly get the feeling that it’s set in the Fallout universe (hover cars, lots of robots, retro '50s aesthetic) but the focus is not on the setting and honestly after the first episodes shows off all that wacky retro stuff the setting feels pretty mundane. After three episodes it feels like the overarching storyline and the main conflicts are becoming pretty clear. I will probably watch the next couple of episodes but I’m not 100% sold on it yet.

Yes, I watched them last night, quite enjoyable but this was the strangest thing about it - it has such a strong setting that the story does nothing with (so far). It might have well been set in the actual 1950’s. I’ll probably keep watching though, Billy Crudup is great, and maybe they’ll justify the setting at some point?

I just finished watching the first episode of it and it truly is an alternate universe–not only is it all Fallout-y (pre-apoc) with hovercars and weirdly unnecessary gadgets like self-tightening ties and robot dogs, but no one bats an eye at interracial marriages or black people living among white people*. The a-historicity (if that’s a word AND the right one) bothers me some, but I’ll keep watching. Billy Crudup is an amazing actor, and the rest of the cast is great too.

*If that holds, it’s already a better world than we live in now, apart from the rapacious consumerist-capitalist culture, but I’m sure the other shoe is going to drop soon.

Holy shit, watched a few episodes of Shrinking tonite:

The first episode was fine (particularly for a first episode), but after that it really started to take off. Depth in a comedy? Woah…yes, please. Hopefully they keep this up, but strongly recommend checking it out.

@pyrhic This way my friend!

Wife and I love this. Maybe me a bit more because I’m such a Scrubs whore and this feels very much Scrubs-y but with mental health focus. Watched the newest ep the other night and it’s still really working. The newest probably didn’t have quite as many LOL moments, but it did have some great ones and the characters are all coming together. Fav new show in a long while.

Does no one else here watch Mythic Quest? I was pleasantly surprised that there was a third season to watch.

I do - quite enjoyed the 3rd season.

Ah, a fellow fan. Also, how can Ashly Burch already be going gray? It’s gotta be fake, right?

Jessie Ennis as Jo is freaking hilarious(that scene when she’s reporting to David about Brad’s “suspicious” behavior).