Apple Unleashed Event Oct 2021

If the notch rumor turns out to be true, watching the internet explode will be worth it.

There is so much stuff coming out about it now, it has to be true. Kind of dreading the explosion this is going to cause, but we’ll see. Maybe they did it really well?

I am more disappointed that new iMacs will not be coming tomorrow (if true). I have lost all my excitement for the event.

An interesting development pushing me to the M1 platform is how much faster, and how many, photo development and processing programs are leaning in to the neural cores on the M1 platform. You can still use these features on Intel Macs - but on an i5 2015 model, what takes, without exaggeration, a couple of minutes, will complete in a few seconds or almost instantaneously on an M1 powered Mac. Processing more than a few images makes the 20x or longer time frame really a gamekeeper of those features behind an M1 platform aside from occasional one-off uses.

Yes, desktop software can really use the AIML acceleration. On mobile platforms it’s mostly a gimmick, although the live text feature in iOS15 is genuinely useful.

Lol they want me to pay money to use Siri with Music? You have to be kidding me?

No, as far as I can tell it’s the full Apple Music, but only on Apple devices, and for some reason without spatial audio, for half the price.

LOL the HomePod Mini update was…three new colors.

it’s way too expensive. The Apple Way.

AirPods 3 - OK, I’m in.

Why? AirPods Pro were on sale for $179 last week.

Yeah, I have them, but they hurt my ears. I’ve tried several different tips, but they just don’t fit.

I guess I’m hoping the AirPods 3 don’t, since I’ve never had a problem with other Apple headphones.

Airpods G3 look very similar, but maybe?

M1 Pro looks good. Appropriate for a pro-level laptop, but not the Mac Pro.

Johnny Srouchi always gives off a “Christopher Walken introduces a product” vibe.

M1 Max must cost a fortune to build. Very expensive bill of materials.

32 Apple GPU cores may be sufficient for basic pro-level stuff on a Mac Pro, although that’ll require Metal support.

Apple is essentially saying the M1 Max GPU is comparable to a mobile RTX3080 while drawing 100w less power. That’s basically a desktop RTX3070. If that’s true, it would be very impressive.

THE NOTCH IS REAL.

Apple: Lets mess with keyboards. That worked out well last time.

I’ll be damned. And it isn’t a double-height menubar either. I really thought that was a hoax.

120Hz dynamic refresh display too, nice.

Still need to see the price, but barring the stupid notch this looks like a great refresh.

All those graphics performance comparisons are vs. old Macbook Pros without a discrete GPU. I’d like to see the real numbers.

They had basic graphs earlier comparing the M1 Max GPU to “the fastest discrete mobile GPU available” and said it offered the same performance at 100w less energy. As I posted earlier that’s basically the RTX3080 mobile, which offers comparable performance to a RTX3070 desktop. Is that true? We’ll find out soon enough.

Damn, 21 hours video on battery, if real, is quite impressive.