Applied Mathematics and its many uses!

WHO DARES INQUIRE OF ME

You, sir, are a cad and a sham!

Sir! You leave me no choice but to seek satisfaction! Name your seconds!

Untyped lambda calculus at dawn!

Linoleum will be my second!

Must yet another life be lost to mathematics? When will you people learn?! When will this madness end?!?

Do not intervene, lest you lose your life as this whelp shall lose his.

As you wish, father.

Crap, now I need a second too…

I need someone who’s unconcerned with facts, can BS his way through a statistical argument, and who has no problems with extended personal attacks.

Where would I find such a person on Qt3?!?!?!?

So I talked to one of the applied math profs today, and he mentioned using a lot of stochastic processes. And I’ve been seeing stochastic dynamics (and differential equations) pop up a lot in searching for stuff. And so he suggested, and I am considering taking, some coursework in probability.

Now someone needs to talk me out of it! Probability is just gussied up statistics. And as we all know, statistics is just wild hand-waving and lies!

Probability will help you understand the answer to the question in that thread about the “other child” being a girl.

I graduated with a degree in “pure” match but took all my electives in applied. In hindsight, I picked the wrong major. But just slightly. I think applied math is a better fit for like 90% of people.

I use math at my work every day. But not pure math. Well, there’s been a couple times I have used induction to prove something silly. I then take it to my boss and he’s very impressed. Go me.

Probability can be useful for pure maths as well. Fancy probabilistic arguments are used all the time in combinatorics and computer science these days.

This is pretty much the opposite of talking me out of it. You are all enablers!

Yes… probabilistic proofs are among the most beautiful inventions in math of the past century, if you ask me! In fact, that gives me a great idea for what to talk about during the final exam period. Thanks, Pishtaco!