Are you fan enough for Crusader Kings 2?

@MrGrumpy: are you using any mods? That text looks a lot better than I remember.

In any case, I ended up buying all the missing dlcs so I’ll probably try to get my feet wet over the weekend (never gave the game a proper shot before).

It’s really not that bad. It’s a feudal society - either you’re working for someone (Count>Duke>King>Emperor) or the other way around. Think of it as a great story generator wrapped in an RPG/Strategy world, where the goal isn’t necessarily to paint the world your color (though that’s certainly possible and not that hard to do) but rather expanding your dynasty.

A few posts up I linked to Many a True Nerd YouTube series. It’s great because not only is it highly entertaining, MATN isn’t a power gamer. He’s not min/maxing or anything, just going with the flow. It’s a great way to get a hang of the in’s and out’s.

I had Bigger Interface but it’s not working (or at least, last I tried it didn’t.) I am using a few mods, but not textual ones so that’s the default interface. (I tried their scaling option but it looked blurry.) My monitor is not huge (1920x1080) so that might be it.

A lot of people recommend Ireland to start, but I think Brittany is actually a better experience. Lots of different ways to go, just secure a marriage with France and everyone will leave you alone.

This is a hard thing to learn, and is why I have trouble with the game. Turning things my color gives me a very visual goal. Without that, I tend to get lost in what I need to be doing. I have the same issue sometimes with games like Factorio, where I get something working and then lose sight of what to do next (but with Factorio, the ‘goal’ is/can be a rocket so I get back on track).

Is there a way to check which song is currently playing? I have all the extra songs (minus the new Pagan ones) because they were included in the ‘Complete your bundle’ deal, and I thought eh, it’s just fluff, and put it out of my mind until now when I actually heard some - any they are really good. So good that I want to listen to some even when I’m not playing.

EU4 has a small Music Player icon in the top right corner where the speed/pause buttons are. Maybe CK2 has that too?

I can not find the music player for CK2 like where it is in EUIV, however lower right corner, there are double arrows pointing right where the map is; hover over that will show the song that is playing.

Thanks!

Due to the 4 years when I was disconnected from the internet I was far behind on DLC but I bought up everything during the recent sale.

it’ll be a while before I play in spite of feeling strongly inclined to jump in. I’ve got a Stellaris game to finish first - I’m a devouring horde that wants to eat all sentient lifeforms in the galaxy.

I did the learning scenario last night, and King Alfonso was pretty comical. He was basically the leisure suit Larry of the feudal world. He thought for some reason that having rumors whispered about the women he was trying to seduce would win them over, and was very unsuccessful in his attempts.

I just read through the developer diaries / patch notes for the new Holy Fury expansion, and holy moly I have to play this immediately. The DLC appeared to sell very well (based on its position / endurance on the steam top seller lists), and reviews / word of mouth are very positive.

It really goes to show that Paradox DLC aren’t by construction doomed to receive bad steam reviews. Compare the reviews for Holy Fury with the latest expansion of EU4 Dharma, which is at mostly negative.

Is that new? Is there a real tutorial that isn’t broken now?

I don’t think it is new, at least I think I’ve seen it before. It seemed to work for me. I did the plots to kill my brothers and unified the kingdom, and conquered an island off the coast of Africa. Since I don’t know the game really, I can’t say if it was broken in some way.

I don’t know if it’s new (wasn’t the original tutorial up in Ireland or something? This one is the King of Leon) but it definitely works and is not broken, as I just went through it.

The original was definitely Ireland, and as far as I know, could no longer be played through. So a functional tutorial is certainly “new” for those of us that were perplexed way back when.

The game has a Learning Scenario and a Tutorial. The Tutorial is broken, still. The learning scenario mostly works.

That time in your life when you grow weary of duelling people in the local warrior lodge, so you travel with a fellow member to Venice to find tougher opponents and after besting several of the local thugs end up facing a zealous yet kind Polar Bear named John Dancer.

Holy Fury looks fantastic, just for the randomization options alone. I picked it up this afternoon and am looking forward to digging in a bit over the holiday break.

You know how when playing an RPG/MMO some of us are prone to altitis? Can’t help but creating alts because “that class or that skill looks cool and I want to give it a try?”

That’s me with CK2. I am addicted to shattered world - full random religions. I’ll get a game going, then start to wonder “how does that religion work?” I really should just hunker down and play something for a while.

Anyway, yeah Holy Fury and the randomization is really terrific. I am however disappointed with Conclave, to the point that I’m really tempted to turn it off. Not for the council stuff, but the education. I thought it would give better results then vanilla, but more often than not the outcomes are far worse - the majority of kids end up with one or two traits and level 1 or 2 education. I even cheated in one game and created an uber court tutor to see if that made any difference, and so far as I can tell, it didn’t. 😞

For me it’s more of re-startitis. I’ll start a new game, get 5-6 hours into it, then realize I’ve been doing some key thing totally wrong. “Oh, if I start again I can do much better, now that I know how succession works.” Then 5-6 hours into the new game I realize there is a whole chunk of gameplay I’ve been totally ignoring. “Oh, wow, religions. I probably should start over.” And back to the beginning again.

Lather rinse repeat.