Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

Thanks for the really fun and informative game!

As Left_Empty mentions, the whole game was full of back-and-forth, even as the score steadily ticked up in favor of the USA. As soon as one of us managed to lock down a region, the other would come rushing back in. Left_Empty pulled off some great moves, Colonial Rearguards and Nuclear Submarines especially stand out to me as game changers.

I’m looking forward to diving back in and figuring out this game a little better. I definitely had trouble figuring out when was the right time to play a US event.

I find https://twilightstrategy.com (linked a few times before, but in 400+ replies…) invaluable for - if not figuring out, then at least - giving you some good “thinking points” to consider with regards to card play. (mind you, haven’t won a single online game so far, so take “invaluable” with a grain of salt :p)

Thank you! I did grab it on earlier recommendations here, but haven’t gotten all the way through the annotated games yet. The other sections were really helpful for understanding things like opening moves. I should probably reread the defcon suicide part too, since I slipped up on that a couple of times.

Congrats on having a great game guys and thanks for finishing it off so quickly. I’m really glad we setup a Swiss tournament and you both get a chance to play and learn the game. That was why I wanted to go with Swiss.

All, since notifications aren’t working, you may want to consider trading emails with your partners and pinging them when you make the move. @CraigM I will DM you mine now. (And I just took a move.)

I started getting notifications again yesterday.

The Evil Empire as represented by jeromeymartin (habbaku) has finally defeated all that is good, pure, holy and noble, as exemplified by tgb123 (me).

It was a very good game. I took a pretty substantial lead early on,although jeromey was starting to whittle it down. I would have been able to continue to hold him off if he hadn’t headlined Quagmire at Turn 5. It took me 6 rounds to roll my way out, and by then he was able to dominate the board with the exception of Asia/SE Asia, and then drew scoring cards for Central and South America, getting him up by 17 points.

I was way ahead in the space race, and was thinking I might be able to make a comeback in the Late War, when I stupidly played Lone Gunman for the last round of Turn 6. Of course Defcon was at 2, but by the time I realized what I had done there was no going back.

Karma really is a bitch, I guess.

Under the benevolent leadership of ForzaA, the People’s Revolution spread equality to all, burying the decadent western oppressors as led by TheRockSal/therockfrog. A lack of military operations in turn 5 gave the USSR the last VPs needed.

Any news on this game? @Infested_terran what is your status?

Daaaang, and i thought my headline of 5 year plan in turn 2 was good. Turn 3 and i headline it again and pull Marshal Plan.

Turn 2 was better.

I guess that shows my inexperience. Since i absolutely believe you, but to my eye pulling Marshal benefits me more than pulling Vietnam Revolts. Probably because you overcomtrolled Thailand.

Oh, I just double checked. Turns out I made you discard Destalinization, and you played Vietnam Revolts. So, yeah, I remember why now ;)

tylertoo (US) over @Chappers (USSR) in round two. It was a fantastic game, with swings in both directions, that went to Late War. Unfortunately it ended when USSR, up by 9 VP, played Grain Sales to Soviets with no other cards in hand and DefCon at 2. This allowed me to conduct operations with his Grain Sales, and a world-ending coup gets blamed on the Russkies.

Thanks Chappers, it was fun and sorry it ended on a d’oh! moment.

No problem, it was the first game that I enjoyed playing in a while. @Left_Empty usually hands my arse to me by round 4.

I’m going to drop out – the scheduling just isn’t working out. I’ll be interested in the future if there’s ever a format that allows longer timers like league or group stage play.

I love the setup of the league…gives us newbs a chance to learn and play more than one game. Have around a 2 week time for games is more than enough.

Cmon, finish those 2nd round games!

Gumers has defeated Grunden by time.

SadleyBradley has won against TCGamer. He played Brush War for a coup in a battleground country at Defcon 2, sending us to nuclear annihilation. I’m not sure if he meant to do that or not.

It was a great game, though. We both made some good plays. And we were both pretty cutthroat with coups - I think he rolled a six on damn near every single one of his, though.

Brian Reynolds (Cattlesquat) over Thraeg in round 2 by voluntary forfeit.